Problem with new sump pump! (video link in post)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyway you could re-route your drain pipe to go into a downspout drain instead of going directly into the storm sewer
that must fill up when raining hard.

It would be hard, it's all underground from my basement wall to the sewer.

It would be hard, it's all underground from my basement wall to the sewer.
If this street flooding becomes a habit, I would intercept the line just outside your basement wall and install a standpipe that I would pump into.
- Top of standpipe 2 ft or so above the max water level in the street. No back flow or back pressures.
- Constant elevation head for the pump discharge. Better handle on pumps discharge flows.

I am returning the Ridgid, getting a switchless Zoeller N267 with hydrocheck hc6000 which should be a stronger pump (7680 gph vs 5640 gph at 5 feet) even though it has half the hp but the same running amps. It has a 2" discharge pipe (vs. 1.5" now) which should help, and I will keep it 2" all the way to the 4" pipe in the wall. I will get rid of the current Y and with 3 checks and just insert 1 check valve above water level. I will Y in the current 12v back up pump and consider things from there.

I am returning the Ridgid, getting a switchless Zoeller N267 with hydrocheck hc6000 which should be a stronger pump (7680 gph vs 5640 gph at 5 feet) even though it has half the hp but the same running amps. It has a 2" discharge pipe (vs. 1.5" now) which should help, and I will keep it 2" all the way to the 4" pipe in the wall. I will get rid of the current Y and with 3 checks and just insert 1 check valve above water level. I will Y in the current 12v back up pump and consider things from there.
Are you sure you need a bigger pump?
7680 gph/128gpm. That basin is probably 25 gallons. If it completely filled five times a minute that pump would handle it. It doesn't look like it's filling up that fast.
Your Ridgid is only pumping out 5" of water (due to the float) plus some of it is squirting back into the basin.
You should try to find out how much water you actually have coming in and go from there. Turn the pump off and see how long it takes to fill up?
The N267 looks like a big pump. Your pit looks like it's very crowded now.

With the controller you can set the upper sensor up higher so the water will partially fill the drain tubes. That way it will run longer and not short cycle.

Are you sure you need a bigger pump?
7680 gph/128gpm. That basin is probably 25 gallons. If it completely filled five times a minute that pump would handle it. It doesn't look like it's filling up that fast.
Your Ridgid is only pumping out 5" of water (due to the float) plus some of it is squirting back into the basin.
You should try to find out how much water you actually have coming in and go from there. Turn the pump off and see how long it takes to fill up?
The N267 looks like a big pump. Your pit looks like it's very crowded now.

With the controller you can set the upper sensor up higher so the water will partially fill the drain tubes. That way it will run longer and not short cycle.

Maybe it's the current installation affecting the ridgid pump's output, but the last 2 torrential storms have triggered the backup pump (2900 gph) to turn on, therefore I can only assume the input has been greater than the output. We are addressing the input part with rain gutter drains and grading the soil around our foundation but it seems like that's a small part of the bigger water table and city storm water drainage problems. When the weather is dry the pump never goes off, just need to deal with the crazy heavy rains we've been having and heavy snow melts.

I read that the zoeller doesn't like to be submerged because water can seep into the pump through the power cord entry point, anyone know if that's true? I was hoping to leave the pump at the bottom of the pit (not on bricks) and setting the hydrocheck switch higher so that it didn't short cycle, but I assume this will let the water come up over the pump...

Latest posts

Back