Problem with gate type water valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildthing

Reaction score
Seems I have a gate valve feeding my waterheater that you can turn and turn but never bottoms out either direction. No water flow thru the valve at all. I've heard maybe a broken stem; can this be repaired/replaced without replacing the entire valve? I think the going preference now is to use ball valves when possible. I've had so many of the other start leaking or could not shut off completely. Suggestions?

Replace with a full port lever ball valve . I Don't even want to touch a valve if it has a round handle anymore . Half of them will fail when used

Seems I have a gate valve feeding my waterheater that you can turn and turn but never bottoms out either direction. No water flow thru the valve at all. I've heard maybe a broken stem; can this be repaired/replaced without replacing the entire valve? I think the going preference now is to use ball valves when possible. I've had so many of the other start leaking or could not shut off completely. Suggestions?

just to get you up and temporally running

unscrew the top of the valve and remove the brass ''gate''
then put the top back on.. water will flow.

gate-valves-components-586x778.jpg

Well, yes, mostly and sort of. Ball valves, like the gate valves that preceded them are best for "on or off" full on, full off applications.

However there are times when you need to regulate flow, and for that a ball valve with a lever is NOT the way to go. For that you use a globe valve...not a gate valve as shown, and not a ball valve.

View attachment 24213
My old boss used to change the stems of ( Jenkins) gate valves without shutting anything down he removed the broken stem the removed the rest in the gate with needle nose pliers then spun a new stem in

Well, yes, mostly and sort of. Ball valves, like the gate valves that preceded them are best for "on or off" full on, full off applications.

However there are times when you need to regulate flow, and for that a ball valve with a lever is NOT the way to go. For that you use a globe valve...not a gate valve as shown, and not a ball valve.

I do not believe he is regulating the water into his water tank. In this instance a ball valve is the preferred valve as it provides full flow to the water heater a globe valve would restrict flow

View attachment 24213
Thanks for the info. When I get back over to my rental, I will check to try and do the temporary fix. Would love just to be able to replace the stem assembly but probably difficult to locate exact same type model #.

Back