Pro press leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JG plumbing

Reaction score
Public service announcement.

If your in a situation where your trying to pro press a fitting adapter make sure your get one that is meant to be pressed. Or be aware that you may have trouble. This caused a stressful day yesterday for me. Frantic leak fixing to stay ahead of the drywall guys. 20210429_070953.jpg

Yes, you should always use the proper fittings for the application.

Great post. 👍

They both look like brass.

Can you use pro press on brass?

I never use pro press, just wondering.

I have only observed pressed fittings made of copper.

They both look like brass.

Can you use pro press on brass?

I never use pro press, just wondering.

I have only observed pressed fittings made of copper.
Yes. Like I said both of those fittings work. If you can see the stop on the one on the right, is very close to the Jaws when you press. I'm assuming the leaks are from the Jaws contacting the stop.

Also the valves are made of brass. You can hear it when you press.

Last edited:
Thanks for the repeat.

It needed to be made clear. One post you say it’s not meant to be pressed then the next post you say it can be pressed but you have to be careful.

It’s either wrong or right, the manufacturer allows it or not.

So does the manufacture approve of it or not, or do you know ?

What brand is it ?

It needed to be made clear. One post you say it’s not meant to be pressed then the next post you say it can be pressed but you have to be careful.

It’s either wrong or right, the manufacturer allows it or not.

So does the manufacture approve of it or not, or do you know ?

What brand is it ?
They are both uponor same brand. One is low lead one is not. They both fully insert. Beyond that I'd have look. Maybe I'll open the book I have on them.

Several of the ones on the right have been pressed on the same job. Some leaked some didn't. I'm assuming the person who pressed them clipped the protruding stops on the ones on the right with the outer edge of the Jaws when the Jaws engaged. The tool indicated a full press and the adapter is touching the inside of the press couplings stop. I can only figure the fitting was warped when the Jaws engaged and even repeated presses (which your supposed to do if there's a leak) didn't fix it.

Last edited:
I think the distiction would be one that is meant to be pressed and one that is meant to be sweat. I don't think one means the other can't be done, just one is made specifically for press. That's where reading carfully would come in I guess.

I am curious about what uponor would say. This is exciting.

I think the distiction would be one that is meant to be pressed and one that is meant to be sweat. I don't think one means the other can't be done, just one is made specifically for press. That's where reading carfully would come in I guess.

I am curious about what uponor would say. This is exciting.

Why would they make one specifically for pressing when the solder version would work fine and is acceptable for dual use ?

They make the fitting for the hell of it ?

You think they like to waste brass making a obviously larger fitting for pressing when the solder version works fine ?

Why would they make one specifically for pressing when the solder version would work fine and is meant to be dual use ?

Hydronic non low lead and low lead brass is the other difference between these two fittings. Companies make all kinds of things for all different reasons. Tooling? Maybe the one on the right is old the other new or vice versa. That's the point of the post buddy. Be aware.

Seriously though I want to hear what they say about this.

Why would they make one specifically for pressing when the solder version would work fine and is acceptable for dual use ?

You think they like to waste brass making a obviously larger fitting for pressing when the solder version works fine ?
Acctually the one for hydronics looks like it's meant to have a threaded fitting soldered to it so you can grip it. It's hex.

Never seen a press fitting without the rib on the outside. What size are those? Is there an oring in the one on the left?

16197844140202708116253083583078.jpgI

Here is one that leaked. You can see how this arranged to get a better idea of what we're taking about.

We talked about this. I don't think one Being meant to be sweat precludes it from being pressed. And yes I did encourage your misguided thought. Mainly to be a smart ass becuse you were goading me into a fight.

Let me know what uponor has to say. I really do want to know.

You posted a pic of two adapters.

You warn to use an adapter that’s meant to be pressed.

You never differentiate which one is meant to be pressed and which one was not.

I stated the the one on the right is not meant to be pressed.

You agreed, called it a repeat post.

So I’m asking you to post a pic of the uponor adapters that should not be pressed, you know the ones you’re giving the public’s revive announcement about.

By logical deduction if there are adapters that are meant to be pressed and you’re giving a warning to use the adapters meant to be pressed, uponor must have adapters that are not meant to be pressed.

Please post a pic of uponor adapters you’re warning everyone about.

You posted a pic of two adapters.

You warn to use an adapter that’s meant to be pressed.

You never differentiate which one is meant to be pressed and which one was not.

I stated the the one on the right is not meant to be pressed.

You agreed, called it a repeat post.

So I’m asking you to post a pic of the uponor adapters that should not be pressed, you know the ones you’re giving the public’s revive announcement about.

By logical deduction if there are adapters that are meant to be pressed and you’re giving a warning to use the adapters meant to be pressed, uponor must have adapters that are not meant to be pressed.

Please post a pic of uponor adapters you’re warning everyone about.
Both of those adapters can be pressed. The one on the left is designed to be pro pressed. The one on the right is labeled pex x copper sweat. The one on the left is labeled pro press pex x copper pipe (I think that's what I read).

I'm not making any statements about the one on the right being unable to be pressed. They can be and are holding fine. I'm guessing they aren't designed for it becuse we had an intermittent problem with them when pressed. My post was to make others aware of this situation.

You decided to make this a thing. My original post stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back