Primary Sump Pump Suggestion Zoeller vs Ridgid or something else?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

php2b

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to replace my primary sump pump and I know plumbers usually suggest going with Zoeller but I have a lot of concerns especially after reading reviews about constant switch failures. I'm comparing two options here:
Zoeller 0.75HP from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zoeller-0-75-HPCast-Iron-Submersible-Sump-Pump/1000675895
Ridgid 1HP from Home Depot RIDGID 1 HP Stainless Steel Dual Suction Sump Pump-1000RSDS - The Home Depot
We have heavy rains here and I'm currently using old cast iron ridgid which works fine but its more than 10 years old and probably going to die soon :-/
Thanks for suggestions!

I bought a stainless pump at Home Depot a few years ago I don’t remember the brand but which ever it was I did my research, I am a plumber and at work, we use zoellers all the time ,another thin* a did wS by a back up pump
It is a puddle pump with an internal float I cut a wye into the discharge I plugged it off , my pump almost never runs
Unless we get heavy rain for days but anything can happen and I wanted to be ready( I can just thread a 3/4 nipple in along with a check valve

I have a Zoeller that has been in place for 5 years and change . Still going strong. Happy with that ! I do pull it out every so often to remove mineral build up , etc...

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my primary sump pump and I know plumbers usually suggest going with Zoeller but I have a lot of concerns especially after reading reviews about constant switch failures. I'm comparing two options here:
Zoeller 0.75HP from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zoeller-0-75-HPCast-Iron-Submersible-Sump-Pump/1000675895
Ridgid 1HP from Home Depot RIDGID 1 HP Stainless Steel Dual Suction Sump Pump-1000RSDS - The Home Depot
We have heavy rains here and I'm currently using old cast iron ridgid which works fine but its more than 10 years old and probably going to die soon :-/
Thanks for suggestions!
Switch failures can be attributed to over sizing or under sizing.

You can order a Zoeller without a built in switch.
Then just use any switch type that you like.
Such as a tethered ball float, clamped to the discharge pipe.

I also like to use the Basement Watchdog electronic switch, which has a controller box that plugs into the outlet.
There is a small cage with two float discs, that
clamps onto the discharge pipe.

You can also get a pressure type switch, which is a small can with a diaphragm on the bottom, the diaphragm flexes with changing water pressure.
This type also can clamp to the pipe, usually nearer to the bottom of the pit.

I still usually install Zoellers with their own switch, such as the Mighty Mate.

Yes, the switches eventually fail, but I usually get 7 to 10 years out of them.
By then, I usually just change out the whole pump anyway.

I have only had bad luck with Ridgid pumps.
Oil leaking out, early switch failures, overall unreliable.

I highly recommend Liberty Pumps. I‘m surprised nobody has mentioned them yet.

Please post more info to inform us why you like these pumps, thanks!
Hello, Jeff. I just searched the archives here and it looks like I installed my Liberty pump in 2012. I did a lot of research before buying the pump and couldn’t be happier with the quality and performance. If someone is looking for a primary pump, they should look at the options from Liberty and compare the specs/pricing. I went with model 457, which is compact, powerful and whisper quiet.

Please post more info to inform us why you like these pumps, thanks!
I'm thinking to go with Liberty 3/4 297 if it fits my 18" pit and leave space for backup pump. Here is my current setup attached.
I'm thinking about installing the backup pump with an 1 1/2" to 2" elbow on a separate pipe with it's own check valve.
The only concern I have is that light rain bring me 2" inches (about 1.3 gpm) and I'm not sure what Liberty pumps suggested frequency is.
Any suggestions why it may not work?

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 7
Back