Price Pfister hot/cold stem to Only hot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruke Leeman

Reaction score
I have a shower stem that is a Price Pfister 9h/8 h/c and the plastic bit under the ceramic plates keeps breaking. It isn't a hot/cold valve, only hot. Can I put a standard plunger style stem on there and if so, which one should I use?

You can probably install a price Pfister stem with a washer on it.

You’ll need to install the faucet seat first. You’ll need a seat wrench.

Then the stem screws in.

I’m not sure if you trim will fit or not. The kit I’ll post has new trim

Do you have 2 or 3 handles ? Once you tell me, I’ll post the kit.

Last edited:
If the original valve used compression stems the seats may still be in the valve and breaking the ceramic cartridges. I would use the kit @Twowaxhack linked to.

I already have a seat wrench because this stupid stem has broken on me 3 times in the past 2 years and at one point i thought changing the seat would solve my problem. And its not the ceramic disks that are breaking, believe it or not, its the stupid plastic part below the discs... why would someone make this garbage if it's not gonna hold up?

But I checked out the link that twowaxhack send and just from the picture it looks like it would fit perfectly. I have been trying to get this figured out since a few months after I moved in and you can't go anywhere for plumbing advice for a DIY project it seems. No one has the right knowledge. I'd happily pay a plumber to fix it right, I just don't have that in my budget, so I appreciate you guys answering my question so quickly and knowledgeably.

You can probably install a price Pfister stem with a washer on it.

You’ll need to install the faucet seat first. You’ll need a seat wrench.

Then the stem screws in.

I’m not sure if you trim will fit or not. The kit I’ll post has new trim

Do you have 2 or 3 handles ? Once you tell me, I’ll post the kit.
Oh sorry, it's three handles. I have a hot on the left, cold on the right and the middle one switches it from tub to shower. The cold one still works fine but i'd rather change out the whole system to stop it from functioning so poorly and all be aesthetically the same.

Sounds to me like the valve was designed for compression stems/seats and someone put in ceramic stems without changing/removing the seats.

Back