Pressurized portable water station using PVC pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murnun

Reaction score
Hello! I'm attempting to build a pressurized and portable water station using 6" PVC pipe at 6 feet in length, just like the one shown in this video:

I would mount it on a pickup truck and mainly use it on camping trips for drinking and showering etc.. After a bit of search, I couldn't find such a pipe at my local plumbing stores or anywhere near where I live (Seattle, WA) so I resorted to FB marketplace and was able to find one. But shortly thereafter, I learned that the unit I bought is for non-pressure applications. Specifically, it's the ASTM D2729 PVC solvent that's kind of thinner than the schedule 40 pipes. My main question is, with my use-case, whether if I can still proceed with my build? If so, what would be the maximum PSI that's safe enough that it doesn't blow up or crack somewhere? When I hold and bend it, it feels pretty solid and seems to be capable but I wanted to check here nonetheless.

Last edited:
I would go with schedule 40 grade pipe. Just FYI, if you build it as the vid, and fill it to the top, and then pressurize it you will have water coming out for about 5 seconds befor the air pressure is gone. If it were me I would build in an air tank to keep the pipe under pressure. Or a compressor that runs while you are using it. You could probably use a portable air tank and hook it up to a Shrader type connector (like a tire air valve). Maybe with some type of check valve so water doesn't bleed back into the tank. Also you need a regulator, after the tank and before the water pipe so you're not pushing a hundred PSI into the pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-Gal-Portable-Air-Tank-CT10H/202528456
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...sor-Regulator-with-Gauge-HDA70900AV/100082550

I’d build it out of black ABS pipe. I would include an air vacuum valve at the non fill end, and pump it through a standard 12-volt RV water pump.

Simple and straight forward.

But be aware, that you may need cold water also. The black pipe can get the water hot enough to scald you.

Last edited:
Do not use that D2729 pipe.
And, what FishScreener says makes the most sense to me if you bother with PVC pipe.
Why not just go to an RV source. They are the experts on mobile solutions.

The black pipe systems are used pretty frequently by folks building their own conversion vans, and with camper shells, or just attached to the luggage rack on your minivan.

Thank you all for your insights! It's part of a mod work for Overlanding build that I'm doing on my pickup. ABS pipes seem way more durable so I'll look to get one and hook it up with an onboard air system.

Latest posts

Back