Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Howdy friends!

I've been working on an issue I haven't been able to solve.

Our well is very shallow (it's also all sand), so we have a 1500 gallon water storage tank the well dumps into. In our well house we have a pressure tank, then a pump that pumps water out of the tank into the pressure tank/water line. So we have two pressure switches.

Our pressure is awful even with it set at 40/60. One shower barely is getting water. I think there might be sand in the lines (even though we have a filter). So I have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to get sand/build up out of water lines?
2. When the cut-off happens at 60 PSI, it will drop to 50 almost immediately on the gauge, then it will go from 50-40 slowly, is that normal? If not what is wrong?
3. Is it safe to push the pressure past 60? Our pressure tank is rated to 100 PSI, we are losing some pressure on our water filters we need (UV light)

To flush sand out of the lines, I would shut the water off at the pump house, pull the cartridge out of one shower at a time, and then turn the water back on. You will want to draw the shower curtain, water will go everywhere.

Exactly what kind of filters do you have?

Unless you are using water the pressure should stay at 60 when the pump is off. You must have a leak somewhere. Close the ball valve going to the house and test again. If the pressure still drops your leak is somewhere before the pressure tank. You could have a hole in the well pipe or the pump check valve could be leaking back. My guess is the check valve as sand will get under the flapper and make it leak back.

40/60 should be lots of pressure in the house. Does the pump cycle on/off from 40 to 60 while the shower is on, or does the pressure drop lower than 40 and stay that way? Sand will also wear out the pump so it can't make as much pressure as before.

With the cartridge and housing taken off the filter you can also blow air back through the system to get sand out of the lines. I use a valve stem for a tubeless tire, hold it against each faucet and blow air back towards the filter.

3. Do not go above 70 psi. Just because the tank may be able to take it, other parts of the system may not. There should be a relief valve that opens at 70 psi to prevent damage, but if it's not plumbed to a drain (mine wasn't originally), there will be a big mess if you get to 70 psi!

If your pump goes up to 60 then drops back to 50 upon shutoff of the pump, the air in the bladder tank is probably set low. Turn off the pump, drain the pressure off and check the air pressure in the bladder tank. It should have 38 lbs at zero water pressure.

For the sand issue, I recommend a new well. Sand will be a never ending problem. Chances are your low pressure is because of the filter.

Latest posts

Back