Pressure Tank Cut Off Switch Setting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretylium

Reaction score
Quick question- I have a 20 gallon pressure tank (entire setup is new, all parts) with a 30/50 switch attached. If I want to raise the pressure post tank can I just set the switch screw to cut off at 40 psi, charge the tank to 38 psi and that will increase my psi post tank? I have a softener after the tank and it seems my faucet pressure has dropped a bit since installing it. I see different switches for sale like 20/40, 30/50, 40/60 are these all basically the same switch just set at factory for each psi ratio setting?

I also have no idea of the GPM of well, bought property and it was already there. I understand about short cycling, if I raise the psi should I just listen to how often the pump cycles to get an idea if the GPM from well pump is good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 2
Just tighten the big adjustment screw in the pressure switch one turn for every 3 PSI needed to increase. As long as your pump can easily build to 50 or 60 to shut off, it will be fine to do so. Then when you determine where the pump is starting, adjust the air in the tank to 2-5 PSI lower than pump start pressure.

It’s 2.5 psi per turn on my unit- I get that part but what I want to know are all these pressure switches sold basically at each setting (like 30/50) but are all capable of being switched higher without a problem over long term?

Switches are the same ( within their model number ) with different pressure settings from the factory.

That answers that question, thanks! Interesting since the prices are different based on settings for basically the same units!

The switches from the same manufacturer have different features such as the low pressure shut off ( if your well runs out of water ) ... different adjustable pressure differentials ( small spring ) and features that aren't relevant to novice users like myself. They all function the same i.e. On at a certain pressure and off at another.
The only feature I've looked for is the power off - on & auto toggle on the switch body I can use while flushing the pressure tank & water heater.
Again ... I have read they are "basically" the same ....... but input from the experts like "Valveman" would clarify.

Back