Pressure switch replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzar2018

Reaction score
I had to swap out pressure switch for well pump that wasn't cutting well pump off at the 50psi mark. After new installed, I can't get power to the pump, instead of a 30/50 switch, I got a 20/40 by accident but didn't think it would be too big of a problem. Is this wiring set up correct? This is how the old one was installed. appreciate any help. Wires from house to the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-194613.png
    Screenshot_20200305-194613.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
I know the wires need to be turned around to go with the tightening if the screw, I had been swapping wires around a bit and was throwing it back together quickly and new I would be swapping things around even more.

The wiring looks like it should work.

Do you have a volt-ohm meter? You need to determine if you have power at the input side to the switch.

I normally only switch the black or line lead, and leave the neutral uncut. Which lets you use an insulated screwdriver, to close the contact set, and see if the motor spins.

I got 120volts on both the lines, and only 1.1v on the leads for the well pump

Yeah the points are open, and I'm reading correct voltage, if the leads will close the well pump will prolly run, but I don't think I have enough pressure for pressure switch to activate, or maybe to much pressure in system?

Also debating if it's my pressure tank causing issues. I'm working under a double wide with minimal crawl space. Not very enjoyable lol, but I should check the pressure in the tank right, its about 5 years old, very hard to get to.

Also debating if it's my pressure tank causing issues. I'm working under a double wide with minimal crawl space. Not very enjoyable lol, but I should check the pressure in the tank right, its about 5 years old, very hard to get to.
Looks like you have a low water cut off switch, you need to hold the contacts closed with the little lever on the side until the pressure is over 20psi.
If the pressure ever drops under 20 it will trip and you will have to repeat that process until it is over 20 again

Good catch Stout! The pic is small and had to put my glasses on. lol. That lever on the side needs to be held until it gets to 30 PSI or so before turning it loose. When you switched from the 30/50 switch to the 20/40 now you have too much air in the tank. At 28 PSI the air makes the bladder hit the bottom, pressure falls off quickly, and the low pressure switch is killing the pump. Turn the large screw three turns to the right in the pressure switch and get it back to working at 30/50 or let the air in the tank down top 18 PSI.

I would just adjust the new switch to 30-50, most any switch I have used can be re-adjusted. If you can't get it to 30-50 then you will have to lower the air pre-load. There should be instructions inside the cover, or else google it.

Latest posts

Back