Pressure Switch or Pump problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericivins

Reaction score
Recently I've been running into the problem where the Pressure switch doesn't kick the pump on when it needs to, so the pressure drops untill the water finally runs out.

The Switch will try to kick the pump on, and it may take 5 or 6 tries to finally get the pump running. Really annoying when this happens while taking a shower. Every 30 seconds, the switch tries to kick the pump on untill it finally goes. I've already took the pressure switch off the pump and tried to clean it out - It seemed to work, untill it started happening again.

Is it the pressure switch or the pump itself? It seems to happen more when the water hasn't been used for awhile. Usually when people are home, it runs somewhat reliably, though it does happen when the water demand is up also........

A pressure switch is just a switch, like a light switch. If the points are closed (touching each other) it is sending power to the pump. Usually when this happens it is the overload in the motor tripping. These overloads will reset themselves in a minute or two and try to start the pump again. When the motor has had time to cool all the way down, sometimes it will start again. But it means your motor is damaged, "on its last leg", probably from cycling on and off way too much. Could be a loose connection, plugged line to the pressure switch, or a bad start cap, but I am betting you have already cycled your pump to death.

If the points are closed (touching each other) it is sending power to the pump.
This is not necessarily true. If the points are badly burned, they can be touching but not conducting. If one little Ant gets between a set of points, he can hold them far enough apart (only a few thousands of an inch) to keep them from conducting. The other three are touching but nothing happens because of the the ant is keeping the fourth from making contact.

This is not necessarily true. If the points are badly burned, they can be touching but not conducting. If one little Ant gets between a set of points, he can hold them far enough apart (only a few thousands of an inch) to keep them from conducting. The other three are touching but nothing happens because of the the ant is keeping the fourth from making contact.

Speedbump, I have seen that happen but not until a relocated to Florida.

John

When it "tries to get the pump going" is the pump motor doing anything? Humming or something? If not then it could just be burned points in the switch. If it is trying to turn then you'll likely need to replace the pump and switch.

Speedbump, I have seen that happen but not until a relocated to Florida.

John
We do have our fair share of ants here don't we John. The only good thing regarding ants in my area is that these new little black (argentine) ants have wiped our the fire ants.

Back