Pressure switch on jet pump keeps burning up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also a Pk1A kit on that pump would give you strong constant pressure in the house, do a way with the large pressure tank, and make your pump system last longer.

Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

I'll have to look up what a Pk1A kit is. Right now my internet is absolute garbage & won't be un-throttled until the 12th of this month. Can't seem to get pictures to load.
It shows a little placeholder image instead. Grr. Not anyone else's fault though. My ISP sucks but my options are crappy satellite with horrible customer service or crappy satellite with decent customer service.
I know solenoid valves were mentioned awhile back. I need to figure out how to connect something else to the float or get a different type of float bc this D-box float switch thing is problematic.

My bandwidth will not be unthrottled until the 12th but I got one pic on this page to load. How do they support that pressure tank so it stays horizontal like that?

For the float switch-- Could I take maybe some PVC pipe (if it is small enough) to fit in to the hole that the rod goes through & put it down in the cistern so a float or solenoid valve can attach to it & run any wires up inside that PVC pipe to connect to something to turn the pump on and off?

I keep seeing sketches of such setups but no actual photos (since loading is an issue) and am not sure how to set that up. I know solenoid uses wiring but I'm not entirely sure how it all works or how to hook it up. I will have to measure the hole the rod goes through.

I also still intend to raise the pump up. One of the bends is leaking now bc it needs to be tightened more. Problem is, there is no longer a shutoff before the pump. I need to figure out if it's possible to add one. Could one be added just before or after the check valve? I think I have the shutoff to install but not sure if there's enough room on the pipe. Although, if I raise the pump up more, I might get a little more room for piping. But again, I will have to shut off my pumps and let the tank drain completely before I can cut any of the pipes coming out. Still a bit miffed that the guy didn't install a shutoff when I specifically said I needed one.

Normally yo don't want a shut off valve prior to the pressure tank/pressure switch. If someone left this valve closed your pump would not last 10 minutes. Yes putting the float ball in a stilling well or a piece of pipe will keep it straight. But I like the float switches on a tether better.

Any links to the tether type and how they are installed?
To be clear, the shut off before the pump is for situations where the power is off to the pump and only for maintenance to lines to the plump. The line between the pump and the cistern was constantly breaking and I was having to use the shutoff to stop the water from pouring out so I could patch the damage. I haven't had as much trouble since I replaced parts of the piping with stainless steel. I forgot to get pics of the outlet side of the pump. I was in a bit of a hurry when I took the pics.
I'm wondering if it would be worth replacing the galvanized steel pipes on the outlet side with stainless steel. I think it's 1" on outlet side. Still not sure how to balance the tank on it's side like in some of the pics. My tank is pretty large. I guess it's not supposed to fill with water though?

Question: If I shut my pump off and disconnect outlet side pipes, will water pour out of the pump? I'm wondering how much maneuvering I can do in terms of raising the pump up and if I can accomplish any of it without disconnecting it from inlet side (as I have an SS elbow that can turn).

As an aside, this was in a "related" link to the closest approximation of my current jet pump and I'm trying to figure out how the hell it all hooks up. LOL. https://www.amazon.com/Boshart-VALVES-Installation-Pressure-pressure/dp/B00TG27TGG/

Yes water can flow out of the cistern through the pump, so a valve would help with that. Just make sure that valve never gets closed when the pump is on. You don't normally use a tank cross and all those fitting with a jet pump. Just screw a tank to the jet pump and use the switch on the side of the motor, if you don't add a PK1A kit to make it constant pressure.

Latest posts

Back