Pressure Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney

Reaction score
I'm having pressure issues. I have good pressure 70psi or so when only one source is on. However when a second source is turned on then the pressure drops. Is this a pressure regulator issue or something else?

I'm having pressure issues. I have good pressure 70psi or so when only one source is on. However when a second source is turned on then the pressure drops. Is this a pressure regulator issue or something else?
I see this question is slightly over a month old but in case it's a still valid question, I offer this.

It very well could be the pressure regulator(PRV) but it could also be a restriction somewhere in the line. It is normal to lose pressure when you flow water somewhere in the system. However, the amount you pressure you lose is based on the total flows together vs. the pipe size it must pass through. If the pipe sizes are adequate you typically would NOT lose a large amount. However, a restriction in the pipe system supplying the combined flows could cause a substantial amount of pressure drop when the flow rate goes up.
You could check the pressure changes at different locations while flowing different amounts. For example check pressure variations before PRV, as well as just after the PRV. This would tell you if the loss in pressure was the result of a restriction in your service and whether the PRV was causing the large pressure loss.
It's also possible to be further downstream in you piping system.

Last edited:
Back