Pressure fitting vs DWV

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richyoung87

Reaction score
The guy doing my kitchen replaced the plumbing under the sink with a "T" fitting instead of a DWV fitting. The plumber that gave us a quote for the bathroom refit said that we should replace it because it is unsanitary. I understabd that a 90 degree turn from the garbage disposal and sink going into the floor drain is less desirable than a 45 degree angle from the DWV, but is
it really that big a deal. Both sides seem to be draining fine??

Attachments

• 1537923861862973803542.jpg
    1537923861862973803542.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
that 3'' pipe sticking up, is also the vent, That set up is how we used to plumb island sinks
some dumbass has cut the pipe and reduced to 2'', cutting off the vent

the 3'' should 45 back to the back of the cabinet, then tie both drains into one using a continus waste
into 3x 1 1/2 tee with a c.o on the top

6.5x552.JPG

Thanks, I seem to remember that this was how the original was set up and he just replaced what he saw which, based on what you show, was never planned properly from the start. You're saying there should be a drain on the wall behind the 3"sink? I don't remember seeing one when he had the top off?

No he is saying that the tee that guy put in needs a cleanoutcap. I don’t see much sense in kicking 3” pipe over. 2” up to a sanitary tee and then a studor mechanical vent on top of that tee. And only 1 trap servicing drain and garbage disposal.
Basically it’s not code and that scares some plumbers. Bottom line it works and doesn’t gurgle never smells. ???
Let it ride if you don’t have the $250 to repair right now. But a inspector will catch it if/when you sell. So it will need a mechanical vent eventually.

Like Frodo said we used to do island sinks that way oversized with 3". But it would be a 3" x 2" sanitary tee and a 3" fitting clean out on top. That there is terrifying, the water will go from one side to the other. Why the flexible tail piece.

How does does that 3" pipe also serve as a vent? Was the idea that it would never completely fill with water, thereby not subject to creating a siphon?
That was once allowed?:eek:

Is it me or would anyone else be more concerned about the electrical situation? No GFCI and an open case would scare me xD Following because I have a dual sink with a garbage disposal as well. I'm getting rid of the garbage disposal because it stopped working and I feel like those things are junk anyways, trying to figure out what the best way to go about it is. So your saying that the pipes coming from the drain in the sink should tie together before going into a single trap and then into a T with the top opening being capped?

How does does that 3" pipe also serve as a vent? Was the idea that it would never completely fill with water, thereby not subject to creating a siphon?
You were allowed at one time to over size the line for the island sink by double if you were not able to vent off the top. It was a certain footage if i remember correctly that was allowed. So that meant running a 3" line up into cabinet with a 3" x 1 1/2" tee and clean out off the top.

that 3'' pipe sticking up, is also the vent, That set up is how we used to plumb island sinks

the 3'' should 45 back to the back of the cabinet, then tie both drains into one using a continus waste

View attachment 18529

View attachment 18529
Frodo, appreciate the response but I don't think I can do what your diagram suggests and I don't quite understand it. There's nothing to run it to in the cabinet. There's just a 3" pipe coming out of the floor. So what would I change out cut out and replace? I really don't think I need to pay the plumber $250 to come and glue one or two things on?? Am I oversimplifying it or is this a bit complex

are you familiar with combination waste and vent systems?
it is using an oversize pipe, in his case it is 3'' the top of the annular space inside the pipe is the vent and the bottom is the waste. basically the same way a sewer breathes

6.5x552.JPG

Back