Potential Toilet Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a new homeowner and have a question regarding what I think might be a potential leak. I am trying to determine what the source of the leak might be (i.e. wax ring around flange, p-trap, etc). My fiancee has had the toilet clog on her twice in the last few days. Today I noticed the pictured bubbling on our ceiling. I'm not sure if this has been here for a while, or if it just formed. The odd thing is that it does not seem significant, nor is there any discolouration, though the crack seems a bit soft to the touch.

Would the way that the bubble/crater is forming actually tell the story of where the leak might be? Would it be ridiculous for me to replace the wax ring on the toilet, or should I bring in a plumber? We are looking to do significant renovations over the next few months, so obviously I am trying to save the plumber trips. Though, if it is a significant issue I will contact a plumber.

Many thanks and happy holidays!

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_172401.jpg
    IMG_20181226_172401.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 18
I would cut open the ceiling to see where the leak is occurring.

I would suggest trying the easiest things first.
First, feel around the supply pipe to make sure that is not the source of the leak. Feel where it connects to the shutoff valve and where it connects to the toilet. Tighten if loose.
Second, flush the toilet and feel around the bottom of the tank, as well as where the tank connects to the bowl. If you find water, tighten or replace the bolts that connect the tank to the bowl.
Third, remove the nuts holding the toilet to the flange, and remove the toilet. Remove the old wax, and make sure the flange is screwed tightly to the floor. Install a new wax ring (I like the kind with the plastic horn attached to the wax), and reinstall the toilet.
Fourth, if steps 1-3 don't solve the problem, cut open the ceiling below to find the source of the leak.
I would be willing to bet that steps 1 - 3 will solve the problem.

Thanks for your replies. The area in the photo is dry and it's proving difficult to find any leak at the moment. Will keep searching. Appreciate all the input.

Last edited:
More than likely the wax ring. If the toilet is caulked to the floor, it'll seep into the subfloor first and then once wet enough start dripping down. Regardless, pull the toilet and reseat with new wax. Check the flange while at it.

Last edited:
What you can also do, is once the toilet is pulled. Either using the supply line, pending if it's a braided supply or not. Run a ton of water through the stool opening. Making sure not to miss. Cause that could interfere with the investigation. But run a bunch of water, it nothing happens. Slap a new ring on and bolt that baby down.

Thanks for your replies. The area in the photo is dry and it's proving difficult to find any leak at the moment. Will keep searching. Appreciate all the input.
If the area is dry now, while you are continuing to use the toilet, is it possible that you simply failed to notice that dimple in your ceiling? It could easily be old damage from a toilet overflow or some other source of water, like kids splashing water on the floor and not drying it.

I find most upstairs bathroom leaks come from the bathtub
water will leak at the following areas
shower curtain in the corners
glass door track
caulk joint around tub
around faucet and/or spout
soap holder caulking
I am not saying your leak is or is not the toilet
looking a dripping ceiling does not tell you where the leak is,
it just tells you their is a leak

in my opinion,because of mold, I recommend replacing sheet rock
fixing the leak,

And don't forget, water can run a long way before it falls.

Latest posts

Back