Possible to bend my kitchen faucet for better flow angle?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too long did not read, all postings.

But can’t the OP just rotate his faucet 90 degrees clockwise, to put the valve lever nearer to the sink?

The original problem was the spout didn’t reach far enough. Op wanted to bend it.

Then the discussion went to moving the faucet to the free space between the two bowls on the sink.

Personally I think that would make the spout reach too far at that point. And there are space concerns as to if it has enough room underneath fit the mounting hardware.

I asked for measurements and never got them.

I suggested replace with the proper reach spout. But the OP then brought up the problem of water dribbling off your hands when you touch the handle.

That’s a summary.

I was just addressing the latest issue.
About dribbling hands getting the area wet.

Personally, I keep a dish towel right there, for that reason, problem solved.

I predict this thread will never be resolved.

Reminds me of people who complain about piss dribble on the toilet seat.

I wear socks around the house, so a quick bit of leg lift and I never have that problem.

> Like I said 3rd world problems

With first world solutions of over thinking it! Ha.

Thanks for that diagram Frodo. Here's what the underside looks like, looks like a relatively easy move?

1615677059669.png

> Personally, I keep a dish towel right there, for that reason, problem solved.

Me too, but if an hour of work can save me from having to wipe that counter 20 times a day, I'd consider it time well spent.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Plenty of free space.

Just make sure moving it to that location will put the spout outlet where you want it.

You’re maybe going to need to put some backing material to stiffen that sink up. The sink might flex making it look like the faucet is loose on the sink. Some manufacturers recommend wood.

If you would’ve tried to bend that faucet I believe the finish would probably flake off and you’d have a crease in the metal.

That’s the kind of thing that home inspectors note on reports and the sellers get to buy the buyers a new faucet as they move out......

I tell people that all the time., If you plan anytime in the future to sell your house you might as well go ahead and replace it, the new buyers will want it done anyway when they get the inspection report or cash off.

I realize that price negations can take place instead but most sellers would rather pay to replace the faucet or whatever because the buyers always ask for too much money off the price for the found defect.

> Like I said 3rd world problems

With first world solutions of over thinking it! Ha.

Thanks for that diagram Frodo. Here's what the underside looks like, looks like a relatively easy move?

View attachment 28567

> Personally, I keep a dish towel right there, for that reason, problem solved.

Me too, but if an hour of work can save me from having to wipe that counter 20 times a day, I'd consider it time well spent.
Yes wrybread. that looks like plenty of space
Do you have any idea as to the gauge of your sink?
when you drill, go SLOW, USE OIL GO SLOW, HEAT IS YOUR ENEMY If the bit gets hot it will glaze over and not cut
You can use a 1 1/4'' hole saw bit. buy 2, and they will be trashed when you are done

they make 4 different gauge sinks, 16,18,20,and 22
20 and 22 are a breeze to cut
18 is tough
16 is pure hell, I would rent a hole knock out from the tool rental

Well it only took 7 months, but I moved the faucet to the sink itself. Came out great. It's definitely much better water flow now, the water spills into the middle of the sink as opposed to the rear, and no more dribble on the counter every time people turn off the faucet.

I cut a backing from some very thick scrap plexiglass:

20211013_163729.jpg

Here's how it looks mounted. That backing is underneath, nice and snug.

20211013_170649.jpg

And the old hole plugged. I ordered a new plug that's slightly larger (2") and black and brass (this one).

20211013_170656.jpg

And thank you so much @frodo, great advice about going slow when drilling that hole. The first few notches on the fibonaci bit went quickly, then it got pretty stalled out. I was adding lots of oil and going what I thought was slow but it was still too fast. I had to literally pulse the drill on slow speed to get the speed slow enough.

I don't know what gauge the metal was in that sink but if it was any thicker it would have been super hard.

Anyway thanks for all the help everyone.

And for anyone else who comes this way, here's the bit I used, which worked well enough and was certainly cheap enough:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPRDBM5

Ha yes.

On a side note, I don't imagine anyone has any tips on how to lube the lever on that faucet, to make it a bit easier to move? It's pretty tight currently, which is new. New from before this operation, it got tighter gradually. I think it just needs some lube, but I don't know what to use.

Ha yes.

On a side note, I don't imagine anyone has any tips on how to lube the lever on that faucet, to make it a bit easier to move? It's pretty tight currently, which is new. New from before this operation, it got tighter gradually. I think it just needs some lube, but I don't know what to use.
Replace the cartridge. That’s the repair for your description.

I wish I knew. Someone else installed it and I don't have his contact info.

I've been looking at pics online and I can't quite find the same match.

Well thanks for the clue @Twowaxhack, it was indeed the cartridge that was causing the issue. But the cartridge itself was fine, it just needed some attention. I took it out and didn't really do a thing to it, just moved it around a bit and inspected it. Looked fine so I put it back in and now the lever moves perfectly again.

20211013_214923.jpg
20211013_215132.jpg
20211013_215135.jpg
20211013_215146.jpg

Now my last issue is water pressure. The kitchen sink has lower water pressure than elsewhere in the house, even things right next to it (our washing machine). When I had that cartridge off I did a quick test by turning on the cold water for a moment and it came blasting out. So there's plenty of pressure reaching the cartridge, but somewhere along the line the pressure is drastically reduced.

Could that be the cartridge?

Or I wonder if the aerator is clogged? I can't figure out how to remove it to check. Here's a couple of pics of that:

20211013_154800.jpg20211013_154812.jpg

Anyway thanks for all the help. And for anyone who comes this way looking to check your cartridge, this was the video that helped me:

Last edited:
Looking inside the cartridge, it looks like it might be obstructed.

20211013_215135.jpg

That brown stuff inside it looks like it might be build up? I'm soaking it in some vinegar, let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Weak flow rate from a kitchen faucet is usually from a mineral clog in the very tiny openings in the aerator, or in the check valve, or in the flow restrictor.

Thank you, fixed! I opened the aerator and saw this:

20211013_223843.jpg

I couldn't clean it so I just removed that inner screen.

20211013_225304.jpg

Flows at least twice as much now.

20211013_225510.jpg

I guess it's not aerated though? Is that important?

Any idea how I'd get a replacement aerator without knowing the brand of the faucet?

That hard plastic top screen usually can be popped out by flexing it, or pushing in on one side with a blunt object like a tooth brush handle.
Or try soaking the whole thing overnight in vinegar.

Latest posts

Back