Possible main line block, anything I can do to save $ on plumber?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth Schnuit

Reaction score
Bought an older house a few months ago (built circa 1938), installed a new gas range on Saturday and discovered a sewage leak in the basement when I went downstairs to check if I needed to relight a pilot in the furnace. Looks like one of the previous owners cemented a piece of 1 1/2" PVC into the cleanout line and just used a tension plug shoved into the pipe to keep it sealed (pictured)
gHE7Wm0
. Well, at some point last week, that plug burst and sewage has been draining into the basement for the past several days at least.

I used a 15' drum auger I had on the cleanout line, didnt feel any blockages, and installed a new threaded cleanout cap on the line. Seemed to work, had a bit of seepage around the concrete mounting the PVC into the old cast iron line, but I figured I could just use some adhesive silicone caulk to patch that. This morning, though, noticed that everything is backing up into our downstairs bathtub.

Called a plumber, but they cant get out until tomorrow afternoon...is there anything I can do in the meantime to fix the issue myself? I appreciate any advice!

if you feel comfortable using your auger/snake most of the big box stores rent snakes that will clear main drains....make sure its log enough to reach the the street snake it until the head comes back clean...starting with the smallest head first....then increase it....all you gotta know is that its clogged now and ou gotta fix it

if you feel comfortable using your auger/snake most of the big box stores rent snakes that will clear main drains....make sure its log enough to reach the the street snake it until the head comes back clean...starting with the smallest head first....then increase it....all you gotta know is that its clogged now and ou gotta fix it
the snake should be at least 3/8 in diameter....you should clean and glue and end cleanout on that piece of pvc that way its permanent

https://imgur.com/a/gHE7Wm0
^^^picture of cleanout line pre-capping

The thing that has me confused is that nothing was draining slowly before this started. If it was a mainline block, shouldn't I have seen a slowdown in draining?
You may have noticed it sooner had you been using the downstairs bathtub. The blockage was likely getting progressively worse with time.

Latest posts

Back