Possible Leaking Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky-rat

Reaction score
We have been in our mobile home for 3 years now. It was purchased from an elderly woman's daughter (the elderly woman passed away). She was in a motorized chair for the last 2 years of her life, and her daughter was not good about home maintenance (she lived here with her mom). We had to have the floor of the shower drilled out and supported because she'd roll in the shower in her chair which was too heavy. We also had to have the seals between the tank and the toilet replaced because she was apparently having trouble getting up (it's a tall toilet with a grab bar next to it) and was pushing back against the tank. We noticed occasional puddles behind the tank and one day I heard dripping and found it.

I didn't really notice if the toilet was wobbling or not recently, but two days ago, I walked in to the bathroom after my husband used it, and found the toilet wasn't sitting straight (I don't mean not flush to the ground, but slightly "angled"). When I gently pushed on it, it moved to the left (as I'm facing it). I pushed on the other side gently, and it slid back. I removed the bolt caps. The bolt on the left is still anchored down fairly tightly (it moves slightly). The rubber gasket is rotted away though. The bolt on the right came off in my hand when I attempted to tighten it. The rubber gasket on that one is still good. The bolts don't look too corroded. There is quite a bit of what I assume is plumbers putty in the holes, and stuffed up inside the bolt caps. What's up inside the bolt caps is dry and flaking off.

So obviously, this makes me very nervous that there is some serious damage somewhere. My normal handyman that I would call for something like this retired, so I called a plumber my parents recently used. He said the floor may be rotten, and I'm really hoping not, but I'm not so sure if it is or not. I have no water on the floor whatsoever (he asked). When we lived in our old rental, we had a leaking toilet when we moved in. We noticed dark spots under the linoleum around the toilet. I don't have any of that here. I have no warping or bubbling of the linoleum (my parents experienced that with a leaking toilet). The floor doesn't really feel spongy to me, but the more I try to compare it, the more I think my mind may be perceiving it when it's not there. I had my husband sit down and get back up. I didn't notice any flexing or anything. I've pushed with my foot and with my hands. Sometimes I think it feels funny when I push with my hands, but the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor is slightly rounded, and I think it's just my fingers feeling that.

I mentioned it to a few people I know who are DIY-ers and have a lot of experience remodeling or as a landlord, and they said if they had to guess, it is likely to be a broken flange, especially considering the elderly woman struggled to get around. That it could have been damaged when we moved in, and just gave up the ghost recently. The side where the bolt came off in my hand is where the grab bar is, so that could make sense. I do know when the bathroom was upgraded to handicapped accessible 5 years ago, they removed the large vanity that was originally there and moved the toilet's location. New subflooring went down before the new linoleum. I don't have the money for a super costly repair, so my anxiety is high.

I understand no one can tell what's down there until the toilet is up, but is there something I should be looking for or any super telltale signs? I noticed the toilet moved on Monday. The plumber can't come until Friday morning. We've been overly gentle with the toilet, and trying to use it as little as possible (using public restrooms when we're out, or at work, etc). We only have one bathroom and one toilet. I also don't have any extra linoleum, so if it's my worst nightmare and we have rotting floors, I'd have to re-do the entire bathroom floor covering. You "guys" were right on when I had another plumbing issue two years ago, and I figured I'd try again.

It could be something as simple as the toilet bolt slipped from its catch point. Don't borrow trouble, just pop off the nuts and see for yourself. Just make sure you install a new wax ring when doing so.

Latest posts

Back