Popup Drain Identification

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Landry

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can help identify these drain parts?

The cylindrical piece you see broke off from the popup mechanism, but in this particular case I would love to find a replacement or the same drain, or even do a temporary repair.

1.JPG 2.JPG

Just an update and question. First, thanks to Frodo's identification Delta has replaced the 72172 under warranty but interestingly the new version of this model at least in Canada (below) is all metal.

Second, I installed the new one and I guess I'm not familiar with this type. The stopper does not quite go down enough to engage the popup unless I either unscrew the stopper a bit or slightly unscrew the brass part it screws into, but loosening either causes a bit of wobble. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• New 72172b.JPG
    New 72172b.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 7
I tinkered with the phillips screw and as far as I can tell, its job is to allow disassembly of that brass part that the stopper screws into. The screw goes into the groove as shown in my photo and stops the sliding top piece of the brass part at its full extension. If the screw is loosened the top of the brass part pops out giving access to the spring inside. Tightening the screw while the sliding piece is at any particular height doesn't do anything - because of the groove it just extends again.

I may not understand the lock nut question. On the top side of the sink there are just the two adjustable parts as shown in the pic (stopper and brass part). When I tried it didn't seem the strainer was adjustable/removable like the plastic strainer of the previous version of the 72172.

So if the stopper height is adjustable at all it must be the brass part. Surely the stopper is supposed to be on tight. The brass part can be unscrewed a bit from the strainer in order to raise the stopper and that DOES make the popup function work in my case, but when I do this the whole thing is a bit loose and wobbly. I wouldn't have thought that was the proper way to adjust. Sorry if my lingo is wrong in some of the above...

Back