pool deck area faucet hot water only?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Spratt

Reaction score
We moved into our home 1 year ago. Home was built in 1985 pretty much a DIY dream : ) From day 1 - I noticed the faucet coming out of the wall to the pool deck pictured below becomes hot after about 30 seconds which is about the same amount of time required to get hot water to our master bedroom (furthest away from hot water heater) Our home is only 1750 sq ft; the water heater is in the garage then the hot water passes the laundry room then splits off to main bathroom on one leg and kitchen on the other. From under the sink in the kitchen is about 15 ft to this wall that you see pictured. Originally there was a hose connected but wasn't much use because you wouldn't fill the pool with hot water (at least I wouldn't). You could take a shower but honestly it would be almost too hot for a shower. There is no cold water at all. So my question is could there be a mixer somewhere where you could adjust and bring cooler water into the mix? Or just switch completely to cold would be fine also. One note - our kitchen sink which again is probably the last connection before this one has the hot/cold reversed. We use a single pull down and turn kitchen faucet so this is not an issue just thought I would mention in case it was possible that could be causing hot water routed to the faucet? Any thoughts at all on why its only hot water and if there is some way we can change this?

Attachments

• patiofaucet.jpg
    patiofaucet.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 0
do you think this was by design? Is this unusual? Any options that don't require cutting through the wall or floor which have both been remodeled : )

They must of had a reason for the hot water out there. I have hot and cold in garage that i ran for auto detail work, but i would never run just hot. If anything it should be tempered. I am not sure what you can do without seeing what is and how installed

What is immediately behind that outside wall?

Do you have a basement or crawl space under that faucet.

Hire a plumber to run another cold line out there.

There is no magic process to install plumbing lines from here to there, walls or ceilings or floors will need to be opened, but a good plumber can minimize the damage.

Install a two handle faucet, and also wye adapter for a shower that you can easily remove during the off season, if it gets cold enough to freeze there.

Last edited:
The line probably originates from under or behind the kitchen sink area, start your investigation there.
Carefully cut out the drywall under there, use a drywall saw, not a power tool.

thanks guys - no basement or crawl space - we are in FLA - the pipes are inside the walls/under the floor as in slab. We actually cut into the kitchen slab to move our original living room/kitchen wall. Extended the plumbing about 8 or 10 feet. My wife wanted it. Sink in the island instead of wall. Anyhow, I am pretty ignorant with plumbing matters. The former owner must of had a hot tub or thought filling the pool with hot water was a good idea - Its not something we would use often even if we had the cold just did not want to overlook something easy. It could be turned into a shower and that's about it. You are correct almost certain the line goes from kitchen sink to that exterior wall. I could check with the contractor who did the slab thing for us. Personally, I have never seen just a single hot water spicket but first time for everything right?

Latest posts

Back