Point of use Grease Intercepter woes.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.mena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This project I completed 3/2020.

It used to be a Starbucks Kiosk in the middle of a building lobby. The upfit was to turn the kitchen into a complete Starbucks set up. HA!

$10,000+ in change orders because everything was insufficient.

Originally there were two stank a** “point of use” intercepters we demoed. I was to install 4 new ones, and we did per the drawings and approved traps.

The dreaded flow restrictors are required here and my inspectors check! I knew this day would come. The demand is to much and the hubs for the grease waste overflow onto the floor. Steady faucet flow is fine for all intercepters. Its when they dump a quantity of water that causes them to overflow.

I was there Wednesday and got these pics.
103627CB-2E2E-4F6F-9E77-F6D9B44195C7.jpeg0A0A2C43-1302-47D3-913C-152A6C541E79.jpegEB844C2B-7ED1-4D98-B803-CAFB23E41035.jpeg
Space is extremely limited and the 4 island vents below look like a plumbing spider web in the parking deck.

It was fun to install 😁

B36228BC-354D-4339-9C69-075AFE3974DB.jpeg93A592E4-8670-4739-A225-BBD3CEDF87C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Its approved by the building and I am scheduled to remove the flow restrictors Friday evening. More grease in the sanitary, but they want Starbucks happy 🤑

Last edited:
They should’ve piped that sink with one outlet to the drain. It would drain slower and not overwhelm the grease trap. Maybe. 🤷‍♂️

They should’ve piped that sink with one outlet to the drain. It would drain slower and not overwhelm the grease trap. Maybe. 🤷‍♂️

It’s a new NC 2018 plumbing code, each basin must individually travel to indirect drain.

Its rediculous because I just got good at connecting them all together in copper with a clean out on the end. I have a good relationship with my inspectors but they want all codes followed. And they check and ask questions during wall rough, overhead... they ask, “How you gonna do this intercepter, Don’t forget that!” In a nice way, of course.

The flow restrictors are ridiculously small flow! That’s the real issue.

The new Starbucks I did, at the same time as this one 2 blocks away, has a large in ground intercepter we installed. Works great. Ran the grease removal pump line before slab and out the side of the building for the pump truck connector.

It’s a new NC 2018 plumbing code, each basin must individually travel to indirect drain.

Its rediculous because I just got good at connecting them all together in copper with a clean out on the end. I have a good relationship with my inspectors but they want all codes followed. And they check and ask questions during wall rough, overhead... they ask, “How you gonna do this intercepter, Don’t forget that!” In a nice way, of course.

common sense should prevail but it doesn’t. I’m glad I don’t deal with them very often.

All the time here.

Im at home now because I got kick out of my building!

The jerk of a GC I have out here forgot to putting any night access this week! And he has been up our butts to stick to his schedule!!!

That, my friend, is a huge difference between your and my careers. Yes, you do not have to put up with these Eores, look like the donkey you got tomorrow morning! 🤣

I found the filters for both those Starbucks
D5526D02-7315-4C4C-B2BB-661018DF6758.jpeg3EBE848C-9258-4521-A1A6-4F30347DC53F.jpeg
Meter too.

If you leave the center valve open above those blue filters and the everpure bank the filters will last longer. 😐

No unions on those filter units ?

The flow restrictors are ridiculously small flow! That’s the real issue.

The new Starbucks I did, at the same time as this one 2 blocks away, has a large in ground intercepter we installed. Works great. Ran the grease removal pump line before slab and out the side of the building for the pump truck connector.
We deal with grease traps/interceptors at work all the time we have major issues with grease and stoppages they are cleaned monthly, I just took a flow restrictor out for inspection,it was almost totally clogged, after seeing that we clean or inspect the flow restrictors and snake from the cleanouts threaded into the trap) interceptor we also jet the outlet side as far as possible

We normally have one compartment piped to a floor sink on the sanitary and 2 compartments thru the grease trap. Is there a floor sink near by where you can route one of the compartments too

That’s a great idea! Designate one basin as non-greasy and let that one get filled up and dump to a floor sink.
I like it, I believe there is, I’ll double check. I’m actually going to do the work Saturday, whatever is needed.

We normally have one compartment piped to a floor sink on the sanitary and 2 compartments thru the grease trap. Is there a floor sink near by where you can route one of the compartments too
They allow that ? What would prevent them from using the one that goes to the floor sink to wash chicken in or defrost ? I realize this is a coffee shop but I’m assuming y’all do this on other kitchens too ?

They allow that ? What would prevent them from using the one that goes to the floor sink to wash chicken in or defrost ? I realize this is a coffee shop but I’m assuming y’all do this on other kitchens too ?

Ive never heard of that and wouldn’t install it this way before inspection. Maybe not this way either.

I suggested installing a larger flow diameter flow restrictors instead of removing them completely. He said, Remove them completely and see what happens.”

I already said to him, more grease in grease trap, CYA.

Oh well, TW, I wish I was my own boss sometimes.

Yes they call the sanitized side or something. I talked to my inspector because i know we used a bunch at Comerica park when we did that job, i just cant remember what the heck they called them. What's to stop them from putting grease in the hand sinks if they really want to. I believe the sink in the picture the faucet only reaches two compartments and the other is used to dump large pots of water

Nothing would stop them from using the hand sink for grease but that would have to be intentional. Using the wrong compartment of a three compartment sink would be an easy mistake to make.
Yes they call the sanitized side or something. I talked to my inspector because i know we used a bunch at Comerica park when we did that job, i just cant remember what the heck they called them. What's to stop them from putting grease in the hand sinks if they really want to. I believe the sink in the picture the faucet only reaches two compartments and the other is used to dump large pots of water

Back