Plumblife

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Professional
Sponsor
Reaction score
@Jeff Handy , what you suggested is the best alternative I can find on the internet. Thank you.

@SHEPLMBR , Any building 4+ floors must only have cast iron in any floor penetrations, wall rough & above ceiling. Anything non flammable is permitted. It’s actually fire codes before plumbing. Cast iron porcelain coated floor sinks are used in these cases.

I would use the plastic floor sink for any light commercial buildings. Thank you.
Zurn and watts makes them in porcelien

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Professional
Sponsor
Reaction score
@Jeff Handy , what you suggested is the best alternative I can find on the internet. Thank you.

@SHEPLMBR , Any building 4+ floors must only have cast iron in any floor penetrations, wall rough & above ceiling. Anything non flammable is permitted. It’s actually fire codes before plumbing. Cast iron porcelain coated floor sinks are used in these cases.

I would use the plastic floor sink for any light commercial buildings. Thank you.
And that doesn't look like a floor penetration. It looks like it is above floor.

matt.mena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.
A floor sink just wouldn’t look right used as a hub.

matt.mena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BD4C61D5-7AB2-4BCA-8792-DFB4A9C9665B.jpeg
My dad is a shop manager of a big rig repair and frame straightening company. Only a couple shops around the country can bend semi and dump truck frames. They got creative with the restroom.
B5A7899D-4E0E-4CA2-ADFB-67FF27D1ECC1.jpeg

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score

Hamberg

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaf spring holding up the stall and a coil spring holding up the rim for the basin - nice! And they went with the "Rose" colored fixtures - bold statement

OHHH AND, the kidney-stone grab-bar on the urinal - sweet

And then there's the plastic p-traps...

matt.mena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
E04E98C5-7B08-4D05-AD2D-DE70852DD9D2.jpeg
So I get an upfit job on the 14th floor of this newly built high rise. I ask my novice helper to cut the copper 1-1/4” water column stub out and install an 1-1/4”x 3/4” copper tee and 1-1/4” cap. I had to get more material and would be back. I get a call, “Hey Matt, I was cutting the copper and heard a pop and now water is dripping on the pressure side of the valve?” “What? The solder joint is leaking? Huh.”

I contact the building engineer to schedule a water column shut down to repair the base building 1-1/4” valve. That night came and I was stunned at what I cut out.

81FCDD2D-97A3-47F9-A849-0FC54A128D40.jpeg
The stub out side of the valve was made up 3/8 of an inch!

14B38D0C-2730-4485-B13B-5A94894F05EE.jpeg
The pressure side of the valve was made up only 1/4 of an inch!

Man! I’m so glad that didn’t burst with my helpers hands on it. Probably would have scared him off the ladder! Would have caused a multi floor flood as well. It’s crazy how well 1/4” of solder holds.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Plumbing pressure isn’t much in the piping world. I tested some 1/2” type L soft and it held a few thousand pounds before it burst in the pipe wall not the joint.

Great pics, thanks for posting them