Plumbing Student Projects

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on Lab projects for 1st and 2nd year apprentices. We currently do a PVC, Threaded pipe, and copper, but need more ideas. Would love any ideas someone might have, lab projects or even classroom activities to break up the time in the classroom.

Thanks

type a pex vs type b vs copper. Freeze test. Maximum pressure. Show them how too much pressure on pvc splinters . They will never use it again for pressure. Don’t be around when it happens.

How about a sample set-up, using clear piping, and demonstrating how important it is on a trap arm to get the vent within the required distance as well as maintaining the "maximum" slope, so as to keep the top of the pipe open for air to pass.
Here a good sketch to go along with it.(Be sure to read the text below the sketch.)

BTW...I believe the 8' distance shown, meets the NJ code, however that's really pushing it too far. It really should be more like 6' or so. A little more then the require 1/4" slope would block it and a little less wouldn't be meeting the minimum slope requirement of the code. That could be brought up in the discussion.
Max allowable Trap Arm Length.jpg

Last edited:
I like that. Teach them to visualize the “plane”.
Hydronic pump. Most plumbers stop at just being able to tame water. Teach them how to produce water from a spring.

Bucket on a ladder then bucket on roof to show the equasion for pressure drop. I estimate 3/4psi for every foot. I think it’s really .79 psi.
I would have liked a few days spent on the finances. Water is easy. Money sucks.

Most young guns don’t know how to make or use a water level. Sometimes a transit isn’t sitting next to you. But a bucket and 3/8” hose is usually on site.

Get a well system. Completely disorient the calibration between tank and switch. Then have them reset everything back to 40-60.

Always good to know how to ohm out a well pump while still in well.

Get a 1000’ roll of half inch pipe and post your results to see how much pressure and flow you “really “ loose. Test before plugging in pipe and at the end of that coil sitting below your feet. Please post results. Not from a book. Real life. I bet it’s the same once pipe is full and no air left. Book says I am wrong. Life says I am right.

Water heater vacuum lock for changing elements. ( this only for the more advanced students). Or parking lot setting. They never get it first time.

Kitchen sink basket install with putty. Most older plumbers don’t even know how to do this without a leak within a year. I got a video if you need.

Differences in effluent, efficient , jet, booster, lift etc pumps. Learn to identify by Just by name not by function.

Press into their little knowledge. Parts these days are good. And made to fit correctly. always the installer is to blame first. Human error is more likely to be wrong than 1 part that comes out a machine pumping out 100s of those parts an hour and a lightening fast inspection camera at end of that line. Plumber messed up not the robot.

How to correct a crossed valve. Hot in right and cold on left. Shower valve. Take cartridge out and turn it 180 degrees. It will spin correctly then.

I should’ve asked are you teaChing service plumbing or new work. Go to nearest plumbing shop and get some old valves to rebuild. Or at least go thru the motions and learn the different terms. They should know what a bonnet is. They will get laughed out of supply shop if they say “the nut that holds the stem in”.

I could think of more ideas and brainstorms but this took 30 minutes.

how about brazing.....if they get into commercial they will be working with medical gases if they get the hang of it have them purge it with nitrogen to see how clean they can keep the pipe

Thank you all for your ideas. I will be definitely be using some of these ideas. Keep them coming! :)

When I was in a apprentice program.
Our Instructor made a deal with local plumbing co's
on Saturdays We would ''do work'' , under the direct supervision of the instructor
This gave us hands on training ,
we would set tubs,
rough in a upstairs bathroom
lay a sewer
run a water line
learn how to operate trenchers, back hoes, sewer machines

The companies would supply their materials,
we only supplied free labor

When I was in a apprentice program.
Our Instructor made a deal with local plumbing co's
on Saturdays We would ''do work'' , under the direct supervision of the instructor
This gave us hands on training ,
we would set tubs,
rough in a upstairs bathroom
lay a sewer
run a water line
learn how to operate trenchers, back hoes, sewer machines

The companies would supply their materials,
we only supplied free labor
Good arrangement...both side benefited.

It was funny,,,,I wanted my plumbing license, I did not want to be what we call a ''jack leg''
I wanted to go to this apprenticeship school I had heard about from another helper.
So I asked my boss If he would enter me into the program.
He said he was not a member. So the next morning, I walked in the door and laid my uniforms across his desk.
Looked him in the eye, And Told him ------ Company is a member And I AM going to school.
LOL....H became a member that day

how about brazing.....if they get into commercial they will be working with medical gases if they get the hang of it have them purge it with nitrogen to see how clean they can keep the pipe

here,you are required to have a med gas license
OR...Journeyman Plumbers are not required to a med gas, because the Journeyman license requires you to braze
to get your license

Also need help on this if anyone is willing to help.
How would you make a house plan the requires you to draw the waste and vent piping?

And a five-story plan the requires you to find mistakes in the waste and venting system?

AutoCAD? Hand drawn?

Luke, I do that all the time for my guys but it’s in our “language”. There are official symbols your suppose to use. Those symbols will be in your local code book. And most engineering blueprint have definitions of symbols.

Here's some typical plumbing symbology showing a lot of the common line work as well as stuff that varies. It is important to make it clear what everything represents by including a list of symbols and abbreviations on the drawings. Never rely on what you or someone else may think is a standard.
Obviously, many of these items would not apply to residential plumbing.

Attachments

• Plumbing Pipes.jpg
    Plumbing Pipes.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Plumbing Fittings.jpg
    Plumbing Fittings.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Plumbing Valves.jpg
    Plumbing Valves.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Some Abbreviations 2.jpg
    Some Abbreviations 2.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 9
As frodo suggested, single line schematics is an excellent way to supplement plans and is pretty much the the standard approach for plumbing schematics.
Here's a couple of simple schematics the way they would look if drawn by AutoCad or a hand draftsman(if they still exist).
Typical Simple ISO's.jpg

Back