Plumbing project

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsamemArio

Reaction score
I have plumbing project I'd like to start this summer, I'm hoping I can find some answers to possible issues as I don't know much about plumbing. It's not something I need to do immediately so I have time to plan and come up with a way to go about this project.

The project: I have washer that's in my kitchen/ living room that I'd like to move to a back room about 20 ft. away. Additionally instead of having to dig and connect directly to the main drain line, I'd like to run it to a tank and use the gray water to water my yard.

The plan: I'm thinking of using the original lines by running them up through the attic and across to the backroom. The spot where I'm moving the washer is right next to the backyard wall so I'd run the drain spout out and about 10ft to corner of the yard.
Any issues you forsee and some solutions would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t see a problem. Use pex and insulate it before you pull it through the attic. Even if it freezes a few times it’ll thaw out and be ok.

"legally" dealing with greywater as per plumbing codes is a fairly extensive section. So, be aware that. It would be red tagged if not done to code with permits.

"legally" dealing with greywater as per plumbing codes is a fairly extensive section. So, be aware that. It would be red tagged if not done to code with permits.

In some areas code enforcement is non existent.

I have a customer who has a neighbor that disconnected his washing machine from his septic.

The neighbor proceeded to dig a trench with an excavator and install 60’ of pvc across his front yard and dumps it into a concrete ditch in front of the house.

The wash water then runs downhill past 25 other houses to a storm water drain at the end of the street.

So my customer called the county health department. They connected her to the plumbing department. The plumbing department pushed it of to the septic tank inspections department.

They told my customer that if she wasn’t willing to give them her name that would be available to anyone by FOIA that they will not come out to look at the problem.

Went on to say “ we’re not police “ “ we can’t go on private property “

This was just a couple days ago. I’ll get pics.......

I don't see any issues. Before pulling it through the attic, use pex and insulate it. It will thaw out and be fine even if it freezes a few times. of a
Plumbing Installations

I question if adding insulation will add anything. If in an unheated or cool attic, the line will be subject to the ambient temperature of that space.
It helps with if you live in an area that gets cold for a few days at a time that could freeze the piping. But if it stays cold for long enough it’ll freeze.

The customers here that have pex in the attic never have freeze ups but the ones who have exposed pex in the attic do have more trouble.,

you have a valid argument on paper…..

It helps with if you live in an area that gets cold for a few days at a time that could freeze the piping. But if it stays cold for long enough it’ll freeze.

The customers here that have pex in the attic never have freeze ups but the ones who have exposed pex in the attic do have more trouble.,

you have a valid argument on paper…..
I'm wondering how cold of an area you are in. I'm in Montana and looking at doing a 15-18 ft run of pex in attic space that has lots of insulation bats that could be adjusted to go over the pex as well as putting pex in its own insulation. Unattractive alternative is keep pex on wall with a chaise and up by ceiling.

I'm wondering how cold of an area you are in. I'm in Montana and looking at doing a 15-18 ft run of pex in attic space that has lots of insulation bats that could be adjusted to go over the pex as well as putting pex in its own insulation. Unattractive alternative is keep pex on wall with a chaise and up by ceiling.
I’m in the Deep South, In Montana you’ll need to put the pipe under the insulation next to the heated structure.

But if you don’t have heat on then it’ll eventually freeze in Montana no matter where you install unless it’s below the frost line. Our frost line is 2”

Back