Plumbing in year around one-story building on a slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex7003

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Any general suggestions for piping design for a year around one-story cold climate (Upstate NY) building siting on a slab, like garage? Building is very well insulated for a cold climate, but I fill nervous about freezing those few runs I have to put in an outer wall, e.g. for kitchen sink. All waste lines will run below the slab.
Thanks!

Put the pipes toward the inside wallboard and insulate between the pipe and the outside wall. Of course the wall will need to be thick enough for your climate.

Put the pipes toward the inside wallboard and insulate between the pipe and the outside wall. Of course the wall will need to be thick enough for your climate.
Outer walls are 2x6 but inners are mostly 2x4. For a seasonal on a slab building, we typically run pipes from mechanical room to the attic and drop down where required. Do we have to cut through each stud along the walls now? Architect is asking why can't we run piping under the slab, is it a reasonable approach?

Pipes in a ground-level slab in a climate where freezing is possible sounds like a disaster in the making.

It does. And I do not like conduits, hence it may be possible to run smaller PEX lines there. I've requested from architect to add drop ceilings, wall trays etc. Let' see how it would go.

Latest posts

Back