Plumbing for a Log Cabin

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ungerr

Reaction score
I bought a log cabin kit home that was erected by the previous owner and abandoned. It is in North Carolina which uses IPC, discharging to a septic tank 15 feet behind the home. It is one bedroom and one bath downstairs with a full width 14 foot deep loft upstairs. The attached drawing shows only the front half of the home. The 2nd story loft is supported by 4x10 beams on 30 inch center, with 2x6 tongue and groove flooring. The tub shown on the attached drawing is to be a center drain shower.
By nature of being log walls and open beam ceilings, venting of fixtures is a problem. I concidered running the stack up though the plumbing wall by the tub but this puts it out in the middle of the loft, and a long way from the kitchen sink. Can I possibly run my drain system as shown, with only one main vent stack in the corner of the kitchen. Could this be one big circuit vent if all fixture drains are limited in length to those shown in Table 909.1? If not, what if I ran a loop vent at the kitchen sink and used an AAV at the laundry and at the bathroom vanity. Also, is it a really bad idea to have the building drain turning 135 degrees?

In the future we may want to add a 1/2 bath upstairs, which could be a 3 inch stack vertically down through the plumbing wall installed by the tub shown and tied in to the building drain where ever appropriate and joining the through the roof vent in the attic. Did I totally miss the boat on this one? Thanks for your feedback.DRAIN VENT02282020.jpg

Thank you for your reply. Yes the 3 inch vent stack off of the building drain running up along the inside of the back wall as I have shown will continue through the roof. All of the interior walls will be tongue and groove and I will build in access panels for AAVs. It appears you have suggested moving the building drain exit to the front of the house. The septic is installed behind the home where I have shown the exit. Is there a way to make that work?

I bought a log cabin kit home that was erected by the previous owner and abandoned. It is in North Carolina which uses IPC, discharging to a septic tank 15 feet behind the home. It is one bedroom and one bath downstairs with a full width 14 foot deep loft upstairs. The attached drawing shows only the front half of the home. The 2nd story loft is supported by 4x10 beams on 30 inch center, with 2x6 tongue and groove flooring. The tub shown on the attached drawing is to be a center drain shower.
By nature of being log walls and open beam ceilings, venting of fixtures is a problem. I concidered running the stack up though the plumbing wall by the tub but this puts it out in the middle of the loft, and a long way from the kitchen sink. Can I possibly run my drain system as shown, with only one main vent stack in the corner of the kitchen. Could this be one big circuit vent if all fixture drains are limited in length to those shown in Table 909.1? If not, what if I ran a loop vent at the kitchen sink and used an AAV at the laundry and at the bathroom vanity. Also, is it a really bad idea to have the building drain turning 135 degrees?

In the future we may want to add a 1/2 bath upstairs, which could be a 3 inch stack vertically down through the plumbing wall installed by the tub shown and tied in to the building drain where ever appropriate and joining the through the roof vent in the attic. Did I totally miss the boat on this one? Thanks for your feedback.View attachment 23557

correction: this drawing shows the back half of the home under the 2nd story loft

sorry about that
your drawing shows a ''4'' i assumed that was the exit for the sewer.
i have no idea what a b drain is
building drain...sorry for the confusison. The 4" building drain exits the home under the master bedroom on the right of the dwg.

The septic tank is already installed 15 feet behind the master bedroom. Thank you for your patience, but I don't understand. I don't see the through the roof vent in your diagram.

I rethought my plan and modified the drawing combining the bathroom group as a wet vent vented via an AAV in the vanity, and using AAVs for the laundry and kitchen also. 3" stack in the corner of the kitchen, exiting directly to the installed septic behind the master bedroom. I also gave some time to trying to decypher the obvious good advise Frodo offered, and will post my understanding of his advise.
Plumbing DIY.jpg

I live in a log "cabin" with a loft and have a wood drop ceiling in the downstairs bathroom to take care of the upstairs bath and hide water and vents.

I live in a log "cabin" with a loft and have a wood drop ceiling in the downstairs bathroom to take care of the upstairs bath and hide water and vents.
Yes, we will also when and if we put a bath upstairs

Back