Plumbing Code By State

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
I was curious about which states follow which plumbing code and found this on the forums at terrylove.com and filled in and changed based on http://www.tests.com/State-Plumbing-Codes-License

Alabama IPC adopted by Local Governments
Alaska UPC adopted at State level but IPC in use locally
Arizona UPC adopted at State level but IPC in use locally
Arkansas uses IPC
California is based on UPC
Colorado uses IPC
Connecticut IPC effective Statewide
D.C. IPC effective in city
Delaware IPC effective Statewide
Florida IPC effective Statewide
Georgia IPC effective Statewide http://www.plumbingpros.com/pdf/dwvents.pdf
Guam uses IPC
Hawaii uses UPC
Idaho uses IPC
Illinois Develops their own code but IPC adopted by Local Governments
Indiana uses the Indiana Plumbing Code (as of 2012 it used 2006 IPC second printing)
Iowa IPC adopted by Local Governments and statewide
Kansas uses IPC
Kentucky State Plumbing Code based on IPC precursor
Louisiana State Plumbing Code based on IPC precursor
Maine IPC adopted by Local Governments
Maryland uses IPC
Massachusetts uses UPC, 248 CMR 10.00.
Michigan IPC effective Statewide
Minnesota uses Minnesota Plumbing Code
Mississippi IPC adopted by Local Governments
Missouri uses UPC
Montana uses UPC
Nebraska uses IPC
Nevada uses IPC
New Hampshire IPC effective Statewide
New Jersey uses NSPC
New Mexico uses the New Mexico Plumbing Code based on UPC
New York IPC effective Statewide
North Carolina IPC effective Statewide
North Dakota uses IPC
Ohio IPC effective Statewide
Oklahoma IPC effective Statewide
Oregon uses the Oregon Specialty Plumbing Code based on UPC
Pennsylvania adopted IPC
Puerto Rico IPC effective Statewide
Rhode Island IPC effective Statewide
South Carolina IPC effective Statewide
South Dakota uses UPC
Tennessee IPC effective Statewide
Texas IPC at State but Austin, Houston, San Antonio use UPC
The Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners recognizes the 2006 editions of the UPC, IPC, & IFGC which means each city or town in the state can either adopt the UPC or IPC/IFGC regardless of edition.
Utah IPC effective Statewide
Vermont Use 1990 BOCA (BOCA now under IPC)
Virginia IPC effective Statewide
Washington uses UPC
West Virginia IPC effective Statewide
Wisconsin Plumbing Code Link
Wyoming Both IPC & UPC used by Local Governments

http://gisceu.net/PDF/U103.pdf

Changes made to Louisiana plumbing code in 2013
Louisiana does not allow AAVs and the allowable distance from trap to vent in a 2" drain was reduced from 8' to 6'.

Any corrections or additions?

Last edited:
Additionally, Pennsylvania has more strict local plumbing codes in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh regions.

Thanks! When you say "more strict" what do you mean? More enforcement? Higher fines? Less leeway on the rules?

Thanks for putting this together. I live in Washington state and trying to find a cheap copy of the UPC 2012. I used to do structural engineering and reading a code book is preferrable to asking a bunch of questions.

The Construction Industries Board for Oklahoma has adopted the IPC. However, individual municipalities are all on different years.

Additionally, there are as many interpretations of the IPC as we have inspectors. We cannot even get consistent answers within the same city sometimes.

I do wish that things were more uniform so it wasn't so confusing. The variations can really make things difficult, but that is how things go with bureaucracy.

It won't let me edit my original post, but the Virgin Islands territory uses UPC.

I have a revised list with nicer formatting. Should I post it in a later post and maybe have admins paste it in? Or should I just post it here in a later post?

Last edited:
? i am a Plumber in New Jersey and does anybody knows where can i get the app for the IPC . i have been trying to get it on line.....

Mayo, I'm not aware of any app for IPC... I take it you are looking for a copy of the current IPC to peruse? I wonder if any universities or government agencies have it in .pdf format or something. You might want to contact your local department of health/sanitation and ask about it. Otherwise, I'm not certain.

LOL. My father had to wear a suit for most of his career in law enforcement and when he retired he wore the denim overalls.

I have what I hope is an up-to-date list with more links on my plumbing code blog

The most recent version of UPC I could find was from 2009. You can find it here (pdf file)

There is also NSPC for New Jersey.

Another important reference is the International Residential Code. The most recent I could find is the 2012 version found here I believe chapters 3 and 25-32 have the plumbing information. As a note, a previous requirement from chapter 3 was that wall-mounted and freestanding lavatories were to be a minimum of 4" away from the side wall/other fixture. This rule was eliminated and now the only requirement is the 15" from center rule.

saw this on your blog. do you know what that vent, is called?

it is a "crown vent"

tumblr_nqwwsucm3p1uwberno1_1280.jpg

scan0001.jpg

check the placement of the trap weir minimum to the vent

tumblr_nqwwsucm3p1uwberno1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Frodo. It says it needs to be 2 pipe diameters in the text but it doesn't actually show that.

So its a crown because the trap arm is drawn as less than two pipe diameters, right?

To make it correct, I would have to draw in the pipe being longer in between those two parts, right?

Mind if I use your image that you wrote on to post as a correction to the diagram on my blog? And the scans/images of the code as well.

Thanks!

Edit:Here's my revised image. I made sure to actually count the pixels and made it a couple of pixels larger than 2 pipe diameters. Is this better?
tumblr_nqwwsucm3p1uwberno3_r2_540.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Frodo.

It says it needs to be 2 pipe diameters in the text but it doesn't actually show that.

So its a crown because the trap arm is drawn as less than two pipe diameters, right?

To make it correct, I would have to draw in the pipe being longer in between those two parts, right?

tumblr_nqwwsucm3p1uwberno3_r2_540.png

Definition And Discussion of CROWN VENT- http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,467690

...I did not know that...

Latest posts

Back