Plumbing apprenticeship question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbphburg

Reaction score
I was wondering what the pay is like while you're going through your apprenticeship. I'm sure it increases as you become more proficient, but do you normally start at minimum wage?

Most accredited apprenticeships start off at 40 to 50% of local Journeymans rate of pay. When I started mine, back in 1970, it was 50% and rose by 5 or 10% every 6 months.

Welcome to the forum!

This type of thread should normally go in the "General Plumbing Help" section. This section is for introducing yourself. I'll leave it here for a couple days.

I pay ditch diggers $12/hr.

I call new apprentices ditch diggers because thats usually all they are good for.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Hell, I'd be happy to dig ditches as a beginner, gotta start somehere. Good thing I'm trying to get into better shape, sounds like I need to.
Thanks for leaving this post here for a couple days Otahyoni.

What basic tool kit am I expected to provide myself with as a beginner?

Wages are very much related to location. I know of plumbers with some years of experience who are only making $12 an hour, especially now in such a down economy.

But, if you are in an apprenticeship program, as majakdragon mentioned it is required that you be payed a certain wage dependant upon how far you are in the program.

I would want a new helper to show up on the job with a good framing hammer, a hacksaw, a torpedo level, a good tape measure, flat and Philips screwdriver, ratchet cutters, copper tubing cutters if it is a copper job, channel lock pliers, a lot of respect for what tools of mine he might use, and most importantly, a desire to learn how to do plumbing right. Some companies/foreman might have different requirments, but in my line of work, the above would get you off on the right foot.

Thanks phishfood, easy enough to outfit oneself with those tools. The economy has wages down, I'm sure, all we can do is hope things improve.

And don't forget a pencil.

A very important tool.

I carry a mini mag flashlight, a box cutter, and a Leatherman on my belt all day every day. They always come in handy.

Latest posts

Back