Plumber notched out studs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howl1257

Reaction score
Should I be worried? Got a liscensed plumber through a reputable company to install drain and water for a new sink. He notched out 3 studs fairly deep to fit the drain pipe. I was told this wouldn't be a problem by the plumber. Photos for reference. To play it safer I picked up stud shoes but unfortunately they do not fit.

https://imgur.com/a/7pl8x3a

The plumber probably doesn't know the difference between stud shoes and metal nail protectors.
I assume stud shoes only go up to 2" pipe. That looks like 2-1/2".:eek::mad:

Last edited:
First, those are not stud shoes. They are nail plates, intended to keep people from running nails or screws into, wiring or plumbing.

Second, stud shoes only come sized up to 2-inch pipes. This is because if you cut more than that much out of the stud, you don’t have enough of the stud left to reinforce.

If it were my house, I’d be throwing a fit.

Yeah I know the plumber installed the nail guards. I got some stud shoes separately but they do not fit as the pipe comes all the way to edge of the stud.

Don't care how it looks, it will be covered. Just wondering if I should be worried. It is not a load bearing wall to my understanding.

Looks to me like you are going to have a bubble in that drywall.

I am also curious what those worm clamps are doing? Is that just to shield the pipe against damage from the pex fittings?

Did the plumber pull a permit to do this job? If so, I'd show that to the inspector & see what he/she says about it. I'm no expert, but IMO the plumber cut out way more than necessary on those studs. The wall not being load-bearing isn't the issue, it's how the wall panels will fit over that & any potential movement bc the studs are so compromised. Those little nail guards won't cut it for supporting the wall & keeping it from bowing when drywall or whatever the finished wall will be goes over it. If it were my home, I'd tell the plumber I wanted to have the studs at least sistered up or to have them replaced w/ smaller holes bc those huge gaping holes would not be acceptable. There was no reason for the plumber to cut the holes *that* large other than being lazy & wanting to do it faster.

That is pure bullshit work.
IF the wall is a non bearing wall, it will be ok, BUT, I bet the sheetrock bows at that location
IF it is an outside wall or a load bearing wall, then it needs to be removed and installed correctly.

If that guy worked for me, He would be unemployed
that is pure bullshit work.

notching2.png

Tell him to remove and replace those studs, then drill the SOB's instead of notching

Back