Plumber install Rheem Electric hybrid unit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concerned

Reaction score
It was hard to find a plumber who knew how to do this hybrid unit and the plumber who came- never put one in before. After he left- took 5 hrs and he charged 2100. Notice no condensation line and feel PVC pipe for pressure release valve was done incorrectly. Any tips on what is wrong in the picture and help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20201211_165153.jpg
    20201211_165153.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20201211_165207.jpg
    20201211_165207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20201211_204631.jpg
    20201211_204631.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 20201211_204805.jpg
    20201211_204805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 20201211_204823.jpg
    20201211_204823.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Thank you. I had company come back today and they keep saying they know how to do these hybrid electric units but none of them have ever installed one. I told plumber thermal expansion unit needs to be supported since it is horizontal not vertical, he said no it is fine. I said there needs to be condensation PVC coming off unit, he said no because the pressure relief valve does this. Very frustrating dealing with this company

Is move the valve on the thermal expansion unit necessary? Like something required by code? Or it is for ease as the thermal units go bad typically prior to life of unit? Homes have had no thermal expansion unit in past sounds silly to all of a sudden have to have this unit which goes bad and more $$$

Find a different company that has real plumbers. These guys are full of crap and don’t have a clue. I would not let these guys touch anything else after seeing their work. Owning an expensive tool like the ProPress doesn’t make someone a plumber.

the expansion tank does need supported, moving the valve is preference for future service not code related, the T&P does not handle condensate at all 😂 you need a separate drain for the condensate, speaking of the T&P it can discharge into that utility sink but it needs to have an air gap of at least 1” above the top rim, there should also be a styrofoam pad under the water heater.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I asked them to install a piping tee with a MTP fitting as suggested by Rheem and he just gave me a blank look. I then gave him the user manual and he came back installed a 3/4" pvc pipe used that purple stuff to glue it to a curved piece of pvc that rested into the bottom of the utility sink. I just wanted them out of my house at that point. I purchsed it myself and installed.

Attachments

• 16078243600815077942793246169712.jpg
    16078243600815077942793246169712.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 16078244295037688593503695762979.jpg
    16078244295037688593503695762979.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
The purple stuff is primer, not glue.
You need both on a solvent weld connection.

Another concern is where this heater is installed. You do realize when heater is heating in heat pump mode it puts out cold air. Maybe not a concern in the summer months. If installed in a heated area of the home, the heat extracted from the heated air you are using is then used to heat water. Then when cooled after departing the condenser, you have to reheat that air. This heater should never be installed in a conditioned space unless installed with a proper ducting kit.

Another concern is where this heater is installed. You do realize when heater is heating in heat pump mode it puts out cold air. Maybe not a concern in the summer months. If installed in a heated area of the home, the heat extracted from the heated air you are using is then used to heat water. Then when cooled after departing the condenser, you have to reheat that air. This heater should never be installed in a conditioned space unless installed with a proper ducting kit.
Yes I did not realize just how cold the air is coming out of the unit. It does feel like AC.

Get that T&P line out of the sink and terminate 4" or 6" above the floor, i can't remember. Look a 90° up and put the expansion tank up so the weight isnt hanging from the threads. My god what has happen to the plumbing trade, i would have been drawn and quartered if i had done something like that

I think the most unsettling thing for me is being lied to and not knowing better. The thermal expansion unit rattles when water is filling unit (not sure if that is normal) and since he angled the copper toward the wall instead of away from the wall it knocks things off my shelf. I do not want them back into my home.

Get that T&P line out of the sink and terminate 4" or 6" above the floor, i can't remember. Look a 90° up and put the expansion tank up so the weight isnt hanging from the threads. My god what has happen to the plumbing trade, i would have been drawn and quartered if i had done something like that
He put the unit flush with my utility sink, so I am unable to move T&P anywhere else. I questioned that too because if it goes off it could spray someones face vs legs. I also questioned both plumbers about the thermal expansion unit being horizontal and not vertically placed and they said no it was ok to do it that way. I have no where to anchor the thermal expansion unit to.

It was hard to find a plumber who knew how to do this hybrid unit

Jeez oh pete...can anybody READ? The darn thing comes with a 40 page manual containing enough information that a rank amateur could install it properly. A professional should, perhaps in advance of coming on site, get the manual (I located the copy in less than one minute) and see the requirements for installation--and blend those specifics with their plumbing knowledge to immediately assess the location upon entry, and if it's OK, to commence a proper installation.

No excuse for this kind of nonsense.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/301ABEDB-8F05-4DDF-AC39-48B104F2E74C.pdf

He put the unit flush with my utility sink, so I am unable to move T&P anywhere else. I questioned that too because if it goes off it could spray someones face vs legs. I also questioned both plumbers about the thermal expansion unit being horizontal and not vertically placed and they said no it was ok to do it that way. I have no where to anchor the thermal expansion unit to.
May I ask, did you buy the unit and try to find an installer?

May I ask, did you buy the unit and try to find an installer?
No I notified plumbers asking if they could do the job and showed them unit I was interested in hoping they could give advice. But when I showed unit I was interested in, they just went to store and bought it with 'necesaary' supplies. I was hoping they would guide me, educate me- boy was I wrong

Last edited:
Take some perforated strap and put it around the tank and then fasten it to the ceiling.
Ceiling is a drop ceiling, would that work? And it does not have to be metal perforated strap vs the plastic one? Is it normal for thermal expansion unit to shake?

It probably shakes because there is not one strap / support on any of that pipe. Your element is turned into the sink. Good luck changing it in the future. Your best option is to remove the heater and have a competent plumber reinstall it

Latest posts

Back