Please Identify This

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franksr

Reaction score
I removed this from the faucet on the outside of my home. It was on there when I bought the home. It’s some type of a spring loaded one way valve which opens by water pressure and closes when the faucet is turned off. What is it called and what purpose does it serve? Thank you for any help.

upload_2019-5-24_19-41-44.jpeg

upload_2019-5-24_19-46-3.jpeg

upload_2019-5-24_19-46-45.jpeg

It is an add on backflow prevention device. They are meant to prevent water from attached hoses being pulled back into the house piping in the event of a pressure drop, or pump/service failure.

Thank you for responding. I’ve never seen one before. Does this mean there’s something about my home that requires this device? Why would it be bad to have water pulled back? Was there maybe something the builder connected to the faucet that necessitated the use of this device? Is it okay to remove it? I believe it is limiting water pressure to my sprinkler.

They are code required in some locations. And, a good idea anywhere. The potential for backflow into the system, has been a problem for years. But, it takes a while for the codes to catch up.

So, fas why would it be bad. You leave the hose running, in the yard, and it creates a pool of water around the end of the hose, which also includes some dog poo. The water feed to the house drops out, for whatever reason, and the pool of the water at the end of the hose, gets sucked back in. Do you want to drink it?

I understand now. There were about a dozen homes on my street that were built about the same time by the same builder. I asked a couple of the other owners and they didn’t have the devices on their faucets. Seems very odd to me they would only be on my house. Anyway, thanks again for explaining what they are.

They are exactly as @FishScreener explained.
They are also referred to as Vacuum Breakers.
They typically have a set screw on the side, which gets broken off, making them difficult to remove.
They are required by the International Plumbing Code, which appears to be the code for Alabama.
Hose Bibbs.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded to enlighten me. I reinstalled the device and am a little smarter than before.

Latest posts

Back