Please help, Sump pump switch stuck in the on position?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvhansen

Reaction score
Hello. I noticed that my sump pump has constantly been running. I read that the most common cause of this is when the ball in the tank floats high enough it pushes the tanks switch to the on position and can get stuck in the on position. I checked my tank and can clearly see that the ball is pushing up against the switch so i tried pushing the ball down and the switch still stays up on the on position. I can push the switch down then it turns off but when i release the switch it pushes right back up again.

Maybe someone has any other suggestions as to what might be causing it to run constantly and how to fix it?

I'd really appreciate any help on this, I'm really worried about it.

Thank you :)

Do you have any Idea how many variations of pumps switches there are on pumps. if you don't know model and make of the pump maybe a picture will help

I've had excellent results using a "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump. No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height to reduce short cycling.
I don't know if I can show the brand so I won't.
If I can someone let me know.
I also use a water powered back up sump pump. They work great if you are on city water.

I don't have any knowledge on this sort of thing, I could really use some help. I don't know what the model or make is. I've attached some photos, Thanks :)

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

The pump "on" switch is activated by that arm coming out of the big round pump body. The arm is on the top of a float.
Check to see if something might be causing the float to be stuck in the UP position.
Gently push down on the arm and the pump will turn off.
The float naturally rises as water rises. If the pump arm switch is stuck, you are going to end up either replacing the pump or buying a pump switch setup.

Back