Please help me identify this leaking faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_V

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, and first post. I have limited plumbing experience and am dealing with a leaky faucet (cold side). I have had three professionals look at this and none could identify or get parts for it. They are recommending that I replace this with a single handle valve which requires creating a hole in the tile. I know that option could be opening a can of worms and would like to exhaust all options to identify the faucet first.

I have not been able to find any brand names anywhere. The only thing that I found is a code "0386" I believe, which is written on the bottom-side of the spout, facing the tub (visible in image "3" taken from below).

So, do any of you guys recognize this faucet/shower set? Any thoughts on what brand this may be and if I can get parts for it? If the answer is no, then what would you recommend as the second best option?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 37
There are a lot of faucets that have multiple types /styles of trim. A picture of the stem assembly would help.

Thank you Mr_David for your reply. I snapped a few more pictures hoping that it'd help.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 37
Ok, I think I have narrowed down the issue to the split washer/rubber piece that you see in the pictures. There has got to be someone over here who has seen this and can help me get this piece. Any thoughts or advice? Plumbing supply stores have not been helpful so far.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Lol my overflows are kerny brand. Never gonna find that kind of faucet. I think you got a Milwaukee of Chicago brass. I gotta work a few hours today but I see if I can do some digging later one. The hunt is on baby!!

Thanks Jamesplumbing06; looking forward to hearing from you.

The hot side works perfectly fine and I decided to take a look to see what it looks like. After I removed the handle, the stem (or the hollow tube piece) easily came off. I could see a hex nut inside the valve (12.jpg attached); I am guessing this holds the plug and the rubber piece. The cold side on the other hand, seems different and I don't think any pieces are left inside that I can take out (13.jpg attached). Either the cold and hot sides are different, or the previous owner had attempted to fix this and removed some pieces... May be this is why he sold the house LOL

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 18
No luck. Searched a little yesterday between church service. I know I have seen it before just can’t place it. Could be a 2 handle pressure balance valve. But never had one in my hand so just guessing at the reason hot and cold are different

Alright, thanks for looking into it. So, it has been long enough that I am giving up hope on finding the part and repairing this faucet. What is the next best option now? Tear apart the tile and install a single lever valve and repair the wall and tile? Go all in and replace the tub as well? What would you guys recommend based on your experience?

I just found a picture of a shower head that resembles what I have. It is a Speakman. I may have a Speakman product...

Attachments

• Speakman.jpg
    Speakman.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 9
Could be. Speakman Is my favorite shower head brand. But I don’t know if they make valves. I would recommend a remodel plate It’s a oval chrome plate just wide enough to cover a 2-3 hole valve application. You will need a diamond sawzall blade. Or a functioning way of cutting the tile in place. The plate comes with a pattern for hole to be cut in tile. Then u can work from tub and not have to make new access. Tight quarters and very detailed in explanation. Not really for the novice plumber. Don’t know your skills. I will make it sound easy and possibly get you in a bind. Might get a few bids. My charge for a single handle delta foundations with oversized plate runs around $775 in the end. Just to give you an idea of what you may need to spend.

Really appreciate the advice Jamesplumbing. BTW, I got confirmation from the company that this is not a Speakman set.

It’s a wall mount Roman tub valve. Maybe that can help you in your search. It should be 3/4” supply from main water to quickly fill big tubs. I just never seen a stem like that. But I still scratching around. What brand is your sink faucet and other bath fixtures. ?

Unfortunately the sink faucet has been replaced with a Delta unit and I don't know the brand of the original one. So far, I have confirmed this is not a Kingston Brass, California Faucets, or a Speakman unit. The toilet is Kohler, I have contacted Kohler but have not heard back yet.

Any chance you know or know someone that knows how to search the pictures ? Like a google phone claims to do? Take a picture and it can identify every item and where it can be purchased

I spoke to the previous home owner. He said it is from a European manufacturer and was bought about 25 years ago. The company is no longer in business but he could not remember the name. If you know of any companies that fit the above description, please let me know.

Latest posts

Back