Please help me diagnose a hard to find leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also your overflow on the heater is what i assume to be the T&P, that lets go at pressure and tempature. What is your current water pressure in the house
Also, should be a simple matter to place a container under the T&P discharge pipe. Depending of course where and how it discharges.

Where is the water meter located?

Is there any type of back flow preventer, Pressure reducing valve, or unknown device located on the water service line?

Is there a water boiler that would contain a Backflow Preventer(Dual Check Valves with Intermediate Atmospheric Vent) on it's water makeup system?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had the prv replaced today, and it looks so far like that was the problem. Not sure how it was missed before, but I'm happy it's been found now. Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had the prv replaced today, and it looks so far like that was the problem. Not sure how it was missed before, but I'm happy it's been found now. Thanks again for all the help!
So that we may understand, when you say "prv", are you referring to a Pressure Reducing Valve which would be on your incoming cold water line, or are you referring to a TPR (temperature and pressure relief valve) that is attached to the side of your water heater?

Yes, pressure reducing valve. It was causing over pressure to the fridge, hence the water hammer there. That problem has gone now. It was also causing the hot water to vent water out the pressure relief overnight. I think the water pooling was because of the age of the house. The floor drain is within a foot of the hot water tank, but I'm assuming that after 25 years, the basement floor has settled somewhat so that when it was wet, some water ran to the drain, and the rest ran to the wall opposite, away from the drain.

It may be just me but I always look for the simplest answers with the easiest fixes to a problem first. Eliminate those before going on to more costly fixes.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's good advice too. I don't know how the restoration company with all of their people didn't come to try that. I'm glad that I got some good advice from here.

Yeah, that's good advice too. I don't know how the restoration company with all of their people didn't come to try that. I'm glad that I got some good advice from here.
if you have a company that does clean the bld they could make sure the floor drains in the bathrooms are kept full during their daily rounds,that would eliminate them

Latest posts

Back