Plan of attack Cast Iron removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthvader

Reaction score
Hi there. I dug into my basement with the hopes of removing and replacing the branch for this toilet or maybe the entire stack with PVC depending what I found. Unfortunately it didn't travel the way I was expecting and I'm not sure what to do now. The cleaner side of this Y is the main stack and the only remaining iron/steel in the house (rest has been replaced with PVC). Of course the side I was hoping to remove is all boogered up :). I'm going to assume that is all lead?

The exit of the Y is under cinderblock wall , probably about 6' below ground. I have called a plumber that I'd trust to do this project about replacing everything for me, but I'm not sure he will want to take the job; I am waiting to hear back. I may have to try my luck with a different company that I have no experience with.

In the mean time I am considering what options I have (maybe can still save it). I have access to oxy acetylene torch and cutting/grinding/cracking tools. If you were just hoping to remove the piece from the leg of the Y, what might you recommend? I'm leaning towards trying to melt it off/out, assuming that is all just lead.. but I don't know what other sort of problems I might encounter doing that. I have only worked with CI at one other house where it was clean and clear, so it was pretty easy... just cut it out... Did not look like this :D.

Everything is working, no leaks etc, and I'm not exactly in a rush... just a messy basement. I'd like to do a nice job, whether by myself or a pro. What do you think best options are here?
Thanks!

PXL_20201117_010709361.jpgPXL_20201117_010714923.jpg

looks like a leaded joint, but so much dirt you actually can not see it

heat the cast with a hand held torch. not a cutting torch, and dig the lead out with a crew driver
. after you have removed all the lead and oakum. go buy a rubber ez tite gasket at the plumbing supply
insert gasket. LIBERALLY coat gasket with soap. BEVEL the end of the pvc. push, wiggle, grunt fart the pipe ALL the way into the gasket

1605634324566.png

Awesome thanks, I just assumed I'd need more heat than small propane, but I could definitely try that. I did hear back from the plumber I liked, and he is coming out to take a look. I'll check back in after I talk with him. Thanks!

Back