Placing an electric HW tank in a blind corner

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be plugged in or disconnect from the access point. That’s a violation I wouldn’t let slide.
Technically - correct, and thanks for adding that item.
In practice - its owner-operator till I die.
Its dedicated circuit #7 with a local disconnect switch in the kitchen - so that will have to do.
I will add a notice inisde the access door identifying the circuit breaker # and othe rrelevant info.

166 degrees is extremely dangerous, especially if a guest is not aware it will be that hot. There is plenty of hot water in that tank to provide you with hot water until hot water from the main tank gets there Without having to turn it up.

The cake pan is a great idea. Looks a bit more robust than some of the overflow pans I've seen! Consider adding a small water alarm to it, so that if the bottom gets wet you'll hear about it, literally...
Don't want to upset you anymore but you might consider the alarm. The drain on that pan is very high and by the time water gets
up to that point your into the bottom element or thermostat area. Might be a little hard to get a hose on to drain the tank if needed.
Just out of curiosity why do you have the straps there. I like that door as an access.

Don't want to upset you anymore but you might consider the alarm. The drain on that pan is very high and by the time water gets
up to that point your into the bottom element or thermostat area. Might be a little hard to get a hose on to drain the tank if needed.
Just out of curiosity why do you have the straps there. I like that door as an access.
Straps are for earthquakes

(My tiny Hobbit-sized hovel has none of these problems because the hot water is never more than a few feet from the farthest point of use and I probably will never be able to experience the problems of owning a very large home.)

The water alarm I’m talking about won’t break your bank account. I bought a 3-pack with Internet and phone control for $50. Single units without the remote function are less than $10.

It will let you know if there is any leak in the tank, or fittings. It’s not uncommon to have the drain lines clogged for any number of reasons.

Back