Pitless adapter, valve or line break?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

406Prime

Reaction score
We have 65 ft well with submersible pump. There is 75 ft of original 52-year old galvanized line 5-6 ft underground running to pressure tank in crawl space. No water pressure at tank (air pressure in tank is good). A valve to an outdoor hydrant with good pressure is 13" from the casing. Water spring bubbled up about 8 ft from the valve along the old water line, but stops flowing with water only to the hydrant.
Could the problem be anything other than a rusted out break in the line? Pitless adapter or valve problem?

I think you are on the right track. You can remove the well cap and have a look at the pitless. But you probably just need to start digging and replace the old pipe.

Thanks! What would I look for at the pitless? And should it be 5-6 ft down the casing?

In Montana 5-6 feet would be about right. If the pitless is leaking on the inside you will be able to see or hear the water spewing. Make sure to check it when the pump is running also, in case you have a check valve at the tank. If it is not leaking inside the casing, I would start digging about 8' from the hydrant.

Latest posts

Back