Pipes Vibrating So Loud They Can Be Heard in Whole House

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiques

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
My pipes vibrate. I know of 2 types of pipe vibrations (I’m sure there are more):
  1. Pipes that are not latched down correctly. When sudden demand or stoppage of a larger water flow (like a washing machine or dishwasher) open or shut off, the loose part of these pipes will slam against the stud. This causes a loud noise (maybe a few bangs) but eventually stops
  2. A resonance (constant vibrating frequency) effect. When a certain valve opens (in my case my outdoor sprinkler valve) the pipes begin to resonate. It sounds like a motor has turned on but it’s the pipes & water mechanically vibrating at a consistent rate. I can put my hand on the wall and feel the vibration.
My problem is (B). Typically if I don’t interject, they continue to vibrate like the sound of a motor.

Now here is the weird part. I’ve somehow managed to trace this back to the bathroom sink faucet. In this video, I am manually opening and closing the sprinkler valves. When the vibrating begins, I can stop it by (1) closing down the cold main or (2) simply opening the cold water on the faucet and the vibration stops. You can see this happens by itself too (creepy). Otherwise, the vibration is continuous until the sprinklers shut off.

Any ideas or insight is greatly appreciated. Maybe I don’t need a plumber, maybe I need a priest???

Attachments

• Pipe Vibration.mp4
    4.4 MB
I do not. Should I install one?
Not necessarily. What type backflow protection device do you have installed between the house service and the irrigation ?

Do you know your water pressure ?

The answer could be as simple as rebuilding or replacing your zone valves.

Not necessarily. What type backflow protection device do you have installed between the house service and the irrigation ?

Do you know your water pressure ?

The answer could be as simple as rebuilding or replacing your zone valves.
Other than what is built in the sprinkler valves, there is no backflow device that I know of.

My pressure looks to be ~68psi.

The black valves on the right of the picture were recently replaced.

Attachments

• psi.jpg
    psi.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1
  • sprinklers.jpg
    sprinklers.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 1
Go to your water meter while the noise is happening and see if you can tell if it may be originating at your water meter or a check valve close by the water meter

Try reducing the volume of water you’re running through the irrigation system at once.

I had a loud vibrating sounding noise coming from a couple of valves when I watered. Sometimes the valve would not shut off. For wnhat it is worth, I replaced the diaphragms in the valves and all was ok. Perhaps you need to replace the faucet. I also had an issue with water hammer. Info on this subject is discussed on YOU TUBE. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back