Pipes Clanging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pressure might be going really high around 3-4 am when there’s little use of the city’s water supply.

OK, When the water company service tech came out to measure (72), when he placed the water pressure gauge inline, somehow it opened the water system throughout the house. Now the toilets fill at a slower rate, but the water hammer appears to be gone! It appears the toilet was probably filling too fast causing an abrupt shut down in the toilets fill valve. Not sure what he did placing the gauge inline, but the water pressure seems to have dropped... And so far so good, but it may be temporary. Fingers crossed.

THANKS!

He lowered your water pressure with a pressure reducing valve.

Sometimes that’s all that’s needed.

He didn’t mention installing anything.. But I am going to follow up tomorrow and see if I can contact him to find out what exactly he did. I’ll post it as hopefully the last reply.
😄😄😄

He didn’t mention installing anything.. But I am going to follow up tomorrow and see if I can contact him to find out what exactly he did. I’ll post it as hopefully the last reply.
😄😄😄
He may have adjusted one that was already there.

That could be. Is the water pressure regulator / reducer located near the main water shutoff valve? Someone mentioned that they are located near where the main water line runs into the house. If that is the case he didn’t come into the backyard where the main would come into the house.
Not sure?? Hope to talk to him tomorrow?

That could be. Is the water pressure regulator / reducer located near the main water shutoff valve? Someone mentioned that they are located near where the main water line runs into the house. If that is the case he didn’t come into the backyard where the main would come into the house.
Not sure?? Hope to talk to him tomorrow?
They can be located near or at the meter,

Well it looks like it is back🙁It lasted about a day, now the clanging has returned. I am trying to get a hold of the water co service tech to see exactly what he did.
I am going to try to close one of the toilet valves a little to see if slowing the flow will take care of the problem. It also does it with the dishwasher and washer. I think a water pressure reducer valve may be in the future.
Bummer!

Very easy to add water hammer arrestors at the supply valves for those fixtures.
Might help, might not.
Cheap to try it.

I tried closing the valves to reduce the flow into the toilet. It didn’t really help. I will need a water hammer arrestor. Do they make one specifically for toilets? I checked Amazon and it seems like the 1/4 in are for installing on a hose with compression rings, etc.
See below....
Any help would be appreciated...
SUPPLY GIANT IS-BB-36DPNQ Compression Tee Hammer Arrestor, AA 1/4 in. OD COMP x 1/4 in. OD Femail, Copper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P91N7G7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_S0Z3S4ZKJEPY60G4KM7T

Did you read post #4, it shows an arrestor made for a typical toilet supply.

Actually, that same model would also work under most modern bath and kitchen sinks.

Post several good clear pics of your toilet shutoff valve and piping.

Sorry, I have been a little removed from the thread.. Thanks for the redirection. See attached photo.... Is this a 3/8. And not a 1/4?
The photo on post # 4 it indicates 3/8... It wasn’t a link to the actual product. It looks like it was the description.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• F39DC075-26AA-4A8D-AFAA-066916573359.jpeg
    F39DC075-26AA-4A8D-AFAA-066916573359.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Sometimes I give a link, sometimes a screen grab if I think the visual is more important, and all the important info is on that.

Yes, your shutoff valve looks like 3/8 compression outlet.

I think the 3/8 is more available.
I’ll head to my local home-improvement store and let you know if it works.

I have three toilets that will need to be done. I’ll try one first and see how it goes..👍

Thanks again!

I did hear it was hit and miss. Is the only other alternative to install a water pressure regulator on the main line in?

Thanks!

I did hear it was hit and miss. Is the only other alternative to install a water pressure regulator on the main line in?

Thanks!

I’ve had the best luck with reducing water pressure to around 55-60 psi over all other water hammer arresting methods, when it seems everything causes the hammer.

Im not going to say that water hammer arrestors are not effective but it may not totally eliminate your problem.

Often it’s a combination of things that are required to find a remedy. You may need to do ALL of them, maybe not.,

If your toilets will accept a old style “ ballcock” as the word describes, it could be of benefit. They’re slower closing.

Your toilet may not operate correctly without a specific type ballcock.

Things are not as simple as they once were. Not everything is compatible.

The more arrestors you add all over the house, the more they can work together at times.

Back