Pipes Clanging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyseek

Reaction score
Hello...

When I flush a toilet, when the toilet shuts off the water filling the tank, I hear a slight banging noise for just two seconds. The house was built in 1970. Could it be a clamp or bracket that has loosened, maybe broke? I tried opening all the faucets , shutting off the water main and waiting a half hour, and then turning back on the main, Didn’t seem to help. We have had very frigid temperatures the last month. I set all the facets to drip, so the pipes wouldn’t freeze. I did not notice the clanging in the pipes until the weather turned very cold. Will this go away when the pipes are at a normal spring or summer temperature?

Any idea what this is and how to correct the issue?

thanks!

Check your water pressure. It shouldn’t be above 80 psi. I prefer around 65 psi

Start with that. What you’re hearing is called water hammer. Google it up and read about it.

You can add water hammer arrestors, even right at the toilet shutoff valve.

Old houses do get loose hangers, a slight clunk is probably harmless.

Post a pic of your toilet shutoff valve and piping.

The thing I have issue with is the hammering just started. Something changed......

Maybe you have a pressure reducing valve near the main water entrance, and it is defective or needs adjusting.

Or you might have a thermal expansion tank on your water heater, and the tank has lost its air charge.

Or your neighborhood recently had an increase in the city water pressure, you can test the pressure at a hose spigot or at a laundry faucet.
A hose threaded pressure gauge will tell you the city pressure.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Like I said my issue appeared when the weather turned frigid. We had to drip faucets for like 3 weeks straight.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Like I said my issue appeared when the weather turned frigid. We had to drip faucets for like 3 weeks straight.

Did you ever check your water pressure ?

You know it’s kinda like if you’re feeling bad and the Dr takes your temperature.....

It matters......

Hi thanks for the reply. Is there a gauge I can purchase to measure the water pressure? I will say this, the water hammer noise level drops when the cold water is running from other sources bathroom sink, washer, etc
Thanks!

Hi thanks for the reply. Is there a gauge I can purchase to measure the water pressure? I will say this, the water hammer noise level drops when the cold water is running from other sources bathroom sink, washer, etc
Thanks!
Yes get one that screws onto a hose faucet. Any Home Depot or Lowe’s etc

Ok, the other solution I have read about is to turn the main water off and open up both hot and cold lines. I have a gas tankless water heater and do you just shut it off?
Will this do any good? I did it with the cold water lines and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I will get the water pressure gauge tomorrow.. If I need to regulate it, how is that done? Is it difficult install a water pressure regulator??

Thanks again for the great /quick responses.
I appreciate it!😄👍

You may already have a regulator that’s going bad. Let’s just check the pressure and go from there. If it’s above 80 psi it needs regulation per code.

Turning the water off then draining could only help temporarily, but probably not at all. No you wouldn’t need to turn the gas off or water heaters power off.

Is the water company responsible for replacing the regulator?

Thanks!
Usually not

call them and ask what the normal city delivery pressure is for your area. But still test your pressure.

Well hooked the gauge to a hose bib, and it read 82. According to gauge instructions it should be about 60.

If there is a water pressure regulator/reducer on the main water line, I have no idea where it would be located or what it would look like.

Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Called Water Co.. They are coming out tomorrow..

I will report back to this forum thread tomorrow.
THANKS!

If your gauge has two needles, it also will record the highest pressure, which can often occur late at night.

Latest posts

Back