Pipe Liner Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crossnote

Reaction score
Hi,
We have a break, 5ft deep, in our sewer line 1/2 way from the house to the street. Once the 5ft hole is dug, is it possible to install a liner into the pipe, from the break in both directions without a 'drain-out'.
At the break, the camera shows the clay pipe had sunk down an inch or two.

There are companies that install pipe liner (it expands and solidifies, basically forming a new pipe). If they did it, I'd assume they'll do the whole run, not just a section (especially if it's clay pipe). The beauty of that option is that digging isn't required.

To replace it otherwise would require digging up the whole line (again, because it's clay), and replacing it with PVC or ABS. VERY disruptive, but it gets a real pipe in there.

Check around in your area for companies that do that sorta work. Have them take a look, and get a quote.

There are companies that install pipe liner (it expands and solidifies, basically forming a new pipe). If they did it, I'd assume they'll do the whole run, not just a section (especially if it's clay pipe). The beauty of that option is that digging isn't required.

To replace it otherwise would require digging up the whole line (again, because it's clay), and replacing it with PVC or ABS. VERY disruptive, but it gets a real pipe in there.

Check around in your area for companies that do that sorta work. Have them take a look, and get a quote.
Sorry for not making it clear. I am asking, 'can they start from the breakage, which is about halfway to the street sewer, and shoot the liner both ways (towards the house and then towards the street) or do we need to first install a drain-out so they can do the whole length (house to street) in one shot?

Last edited:
Sorry for not making it clear. I am asking, 'can they start from the breakage, which is about halfway to the street sewer, and shoot the liner both ways (towards the house and then towards the street) or do we need to first install a drain-out so they can do the whole length (house to street) in one shot?
They repaired the break, put in a clean-out and ran a liner from the cleanout to the city sewer line. The pipe had sunk down an inch or two at the break, thus making it impossible to run a liner without repairing it first.

Latest posts

Back