Pipe inactive for 1 year, now blocked.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus

Reaction score
I live in a 100-year-old 50-unit apartment building. Cast iron pipes. I know sometimes the building has problems with the pipes deteriorating in other apartments and drainage lines. I was renovating the bathroom so I didn't use the sink for about 1 year. When I put in a new sink, connected the pipes, and and ran the water it was clogged. The super took off the P-trap, which was clear, but couldn't get the snake to go in more than about 18 inches, which is where there may be an elbow connecting to the waste stack. Pipe is very rusty inside. Could the non-usage of the pipe for 1 year have caused the rust or calcification to completely block the pipe? They may now have to break open the wall and replace the pipe section (ugh). The super suspects I put something down the pipe (e.g. grout, etc.) which I didn't, and caused the blockage.

Again, my main question is: Could the non-usage of the (sink drain) pipe for 1 year have caused the rust or calcification to completely block the pipe?

Thanks.

I have seen that happen, as in, pipes that were draining before, left out of service for awhile, then wouldn't drain when put back in use. I suspect that in these cases, the pipe was partially clogged to start with, and debris that would normally have been washed out of the line dried up and completely clogged it.

If it sat a long time you now have dried debris and rust. You need to jet the line to clean it up.

Back