Pipe Hammer driving me crazy - Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevbruce

Reaction score
Within the last week, my pipes have started to bang and vibrate (water hammer?) I shut off the main valve and opened the highest and lowest faucets to drain the water, then turned the water back on with hopes of flushing out the air. I also bought a water pressure gauge and my pressure at the lowest faucet is 50-60. The banging and loud vibration intermittently continues when either flushing the toilets, or sometimes turning on the shower or the bathroom sink faucet. I'm at a loss to know what to do since the pressure seems normal from the gauge and I've tried draining the air out already. I notice the noise occurs most and is loudest when water hasn't run for hours. After I hear the hammer noise, if I turn on water within a few minutes, there is no noise. Any clues?

do this ,
1) turn off your water at the main.
2) open every faucet , fixture in the house , do not forget the dishwasher, clothes washer . so that everything drains. hot and clod.
3) shut off all the faucets.
4) open the main slowly
5) go to every faucet and slowly open until water comes out , the shut
6) if that works you owe me a case of beer.

I'd happily buy a case of bear, but already tried all that before making my post here. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I have an old Watts pressure valve near the main shutoff valve. Is it possible that's gone bad? When I put a pressure gauge on my basement faucet, it reads 50 but when the toilet was flushed one floor above, it spiked to 80 and made the jackhammer sound.

I have an old Watts pressure valve near the main shutoff valve. Is it possible that's gone bad? When I put a pressure gauge on my basement faucet, it reads 50 but when the toilet was flushed one floor above, it spiked to 80 and made the jackhammer sound.

Yes, it’s a common symptom of the pressure reducing valve not operating correctly, it’s failing. Replace it.

Out here in the mountains the water pressure fluctuates. Sometimes it’s jumps up to 120 but will hover at 50-60 most of the day. Sounds like you just have a bad pressure reducing valve.

Hi everyone - replaced pressure valve last night. So far, pipes are quiet. Fingers crossed that this does the job. Thank you all for your suggestions.

do this ,
1) turn off your water at the main.
2) open every faucet , fixture in the house , do not forget the dishwasher, clothes washer . so that everything drains. hot and clod.
3) shut off all the faucets.
4) open the main slowly
5) go to every faucet and slowly open until water comes out , the shut
6) if that works you owe me a case of beer.
I’m curious what this would accomplish? Depressurization of the system or?

I’m curious what this would accomplish? Depressurization of the system or?
He’s probably thinking they have homemade air chambers and he’s charging them with air.

I’ll let Bill answer though, He doesn’t need anyone to tell the forum what he meant or to speak for him.✌️

Latest posts

Back