Pipe Condition and type of pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the type of pipe this is and give a general set of thoughts about the condition of the pipes? Seeing wet soil below but it appears these clamps which look very new have been put on to mitigate it. I don't quite follow how they would do anything.

I didn't see any actual water leaking but they are drain pipes so without someone using where they go to I'm not going to observe much I think.

Most of the pipes below this building look like that - is it time to replace? Are there better products or is it easier to replace like for like? I assume local building codes dictate some of this?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7195.JPG
    IMG_7195.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7190.JPG
    IMG_7190.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
No hub cast iron pipe. You can take off the clamps to inspect the inside for buildup but I would replace any couplings in the process of this. You can test for leaks by having someone run some water but if is not leaking then I would leave it alone.

the first poster is correct its no hub the first pick shows 2 broken???? or completely disconnected bands.... I think the rubber is the only thing holding the top of the long sweep 90 together.....the second is newer no hub cast iron the third is older no hub....its hard to see but it looks like there is rust growth spots …...im actually dealing with that in a much larger scale Im working in a 10 story bld and it has 6 4" stacks on one side and in the same bld 4 story wing with 6 more stacks they are all starting to fail..
they look like yours and worse so im changing one 10 story stack now so my advice is to replace the pipe with pvc it would just be piece of mind for you

the first poster is correct its no hub the first pick shows 2 broken???? or completely disconnected bands.... I think the rubber is the only thing holding the top of the long sweep 90 together.....the second is newer no hub cast iron the third is older no hub....its hard to see but it looks like there is rust growth spots …...im actually dealing with that in a much larger scale Im working in a 10 story bld and it has 6 4" stacks on one side and in the same bld 4 story wing with 6 more stacks they are all starting to fail..
they look like yours and worse so im changing one 10 story stack now so my advice is to replace the pipe with pvc it would just be piece of mind for you
the newer no hub doesn't look to bad but I cant really see my computer wont let me expand the pics hope this helps

Back