pinhole leaks on hot water recirculation line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raleigh

Reaction score
I am a licensed plumber< eighteen months ago I completed a basement remodel, adding a new bathroom and kitchen. I added a hot water recirculation line, with a brass watts pump, in the past two months I have had three different 1/2" 90's develop pin holes in them. the holes are in the fittings themselves not the joint. when I did the job the home owner did not want to replace their 20 year old water. a month ago I replaced the water heater. wondering if anyone has had something like this occur to them, or what the issue is.

I am assuming that the leaks are all on either the recirculation line or the hot line that leads to it?

I have heard of something similar happening in a big assisted living facility, with a continuous recirc system. Does the system have an aquastat or a timer on it?

You might have some aggressive water, compounded by the fact that it is hot, and is continuously kept hot by the recirc system.

Fitting material?
I assume wrought copper.
Ive seen a number of cast brass elbows with pin holes(over many years) when initial installed. In your case too many and time spaced to be bad castings.

Back