pinhole leaks in copper pipes - soldering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catpace

Reaction score
I have managed to clear the pipe of water, we are on the last fitting. I removed a piece of the old pipe and replaced it with new. I am trying to connect a new piece with the existing old pipe. Prior to doing this i did encounter a pinhole leak. just above the problem area, i had no problem achieving a good solder. I do not know why that on the pipe i am achieving differnet results. within a 2" area. I have opened up a valve on the bathroom sink, and the toilet, though the area we are working on is the shower and do not have ne valves. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your assistance.

catpace, am I correct in my understanding that you are having trouble soldering a joint together?

Assuming that you have cleaned the pipe and the fitting thoroughly, used flux, and have been careful not to get the assembly too hot, the common problem that I would expect in your situation is that you have not managed to get rid of all the water in the piping, and that is causing you problems. If you can get the pipe back apart and blow air through it to another opening, such as a supply line disconnected from a toilet, you should be able to get enough of the pipe cleared of water to be able to solder the joint together.

I will try to check back in on this thread in a little while, in case you need advice. Hope it works out for you.

Back