Pilot light out again

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_6605

Reaction score
I have a Richmond, Direct Vent, 50 gallon water heater and the pilot light likes to go out once or twice a month. I usually find out when I am standing in the shower and find I am showering with 80 degree water. So what have I done. Several months ago I sprinkled pixie dust on the problem and replace the igniter and flame sensor unit. It seemed to help for about three months and then the problem came back. I can not believe the unit has gone bad again. relighting the water heater is easy. I only push and hold the button down for a couple of seconds, hit the spark, look down to make sure it is lit and let go of the light button. ( then turn it on) It would seem if the pilot and flame sensor was an issue I would have trouble relighting. What are the chances the gas valve is the problem or is it possible that the main burner shutting off is blowing out the pilot. I know many of you have run across this problem and have tricks to fix it. The water heater is only 6 years old and the tank is in great condition. Suggestions please.

Peter

I had the new igniter / flame unit out last Saturday - checked the pilot orifice, main burner and did not find any loose rust that would block the pilot gas line, or loose debris on the main burner.

Not enough air into the unit (air filter) or If your direct vent unit has a blower, it will have a pressure switch which can go bad.

Direct vent - water heater is right next to outside wall - no blower motor or pressure switch. I doubt if there is a intake filter. But just incase i took the vent cap outlet off the outside of the house and used the shop vac to blow in the center pipe and the air came out from around the center pipe . My assumption is if there is an intake filter i would be blowing opposite the air stream and dislodge any debris. Will try anything at this point.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but what about the thermocouple? If you pull it out and it’s got lots of residue on it replace it. You can also clean it with a scotch brite pad but that never works for me.

I thought about the thermocouple which is why I replaced the ignite unit 4 months ago. Then if the thermocouple was bad I would not expect the unit to relight so easily when the pilot light goes out. It is getting better. It has only gone out twice since I started this post. Not bad once every 2 weeks it needs relighting. LOL

Back