Pilot Going Out after moving tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedi_Knight

Reaction score
AO Smith Model Envirotemp, 50 gal nat gas
Honeywell controller
5 yrs old

The cold water shut off valve had a slow leak (gate valve) and the dialectic unions on both cold and hot were leaking. I replaced the leaking valve with a ball valve, and replaced the leaking unions. During the process, I moved the tank so I could cut the pipe for the new valve and solder it in.
The vent piping was also not properly installed, so I fixed it. Some sediment may have fallen in when I moved the tank.

After reinstalling the tank, the pilot would not light. I reset the thermophile by pushing its button and the pilot lit and I turned the setting a little below Hot. I waited a couple hours, and took a shower. The water was hot.
When I woke up this morning, the indicator light on the controller was out. I again reset the thermophile and relit the pilot.

Is this a typical problem after draining the tank and moving it?

We plumbers check the millivolts of the thermocouple output which then determines the next step.
What AO Smith usually will say is "at five years old, the unit is obsolete".

Post the complete model number, and serial number.

Then I can likely find either a troubleshooting guide, or a service manual.

Meanwhile, the controller might be showing an error code, or flashing an LED in a sequence which is an error code.

Do you have plenty of airflow around the heater where you moved it to? Many newer models have safety cutoffs if there is not enough. That's why if it is in an enclosed area they recommend a louvered door or panel in the drywall. You may not realize it. It is something many don't know or think of.

Latest posts

Back