Pexb/Al/Pert pipe without sleeve in concrete

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertD

Reaction score
Good morning,

A plumber replaced my copper pipes in the bathroom with Pexb/Al/Pert pipe , he did this whitout using a sleeve (see pictures). I know this is not best practice, since it needs some room to expand.

What is the likelyhood that this will last for about 4 years without leaking (abbrasion o/t pipe rubbing against concrete)? Since i plan a complete remodel o/t bathroom in 4 years.

regards,

Bert

Attachments

• IMG-2423.jpg
    IMG-2423.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2424.jpg
    IMG-2424.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-2503.jpg
    IMG-2503.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
@ Twowaxhack: i had not even noticed this, do you mean the grey stuff/caulk (i dont know what it is. ) What do you think is bad about it?

Looks like concrete reinforcement wire holding the tube in place. Maybe not

He thinks it's steel reinforcement for the concrete. If it is then it's not good, but won't leak in 4 years. The pipe is metal. They make metal clips for this piping.

Last edited:
it seems flexible and origins from the hole in the floor, can that be reinforcement?

It could be anything. A shoelace the guy who poured the concrete lost, a telephone wire. It doesn't really matter. If it's not digging into the pipe forcefully it'll be fine.

Yes. Also every day of the week people build radiant floors with this type of pipe embedded in concrete. Generally the only place is sleeved is coming in and going out. Wrap some foam around it.

Latest posts

Back