PEX vs. WCSB

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmako

Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie here. I’m just a home owner looking for some advice. I recently had my kitchen remolded. One of the contractors (not plumber) re-routed copper water lines and replaced them with PEX lines. I have multiple leaks. The project manager did the right thing and is footing the bill to repair things, put I’m not sure if I should insist on them pulling the PEX and putting copper back in. I know the GC probably used PEX because of its ease and lower cost. However every year my house is invaded with western conifer seed bugs, no matter how hard I try to seal up every crack. Anyway, I’ve read the WCSB is virtually the only pest that can perforate PEX. I don’t want to have PEX in my house only to have a bug create a leak in my ceiling 2yrs down the road after the job is no longer under warrantee. Just looking for thoughts, suggestions or what others might do in a situation like this. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I was curious as to why this bug would be motivated to pierce pex tubing. So I did some research and found this portion of an article.
"The conversation on Entomo-l revealed that the bug is not always so innocuous. It has beak-like mouthparts and it can pierce polyethylene (PEX) tubing used in plumbing and radiant heating. The bugs secrete a protein in their saliva that forms a protective sheath around their mouthparts while they feed, and this sheath is left behind as evidence. Hence, investigators were able to sleuth the culprit in the case of the “weeping” pipes that lose water through the pinhole punctures caused by bugs exploring novel surroundings (Bates, 2005)."
Amazing that somebody took the time to actually discover the sheath of the insects proboscis in the pipe. That's dedication.
Anyways, given the many leaks from the installer and the risk in your area from the pests, I would ask for copper.
It may cost you and upcharge from the original bid price but try to negotiate it a little since you currently have problems from the first installation.

Last edited:
I have seen a number of these bugs in my area in conjunction with the recent flood of stink bugs and wheel bugs to our area. Thanks for the lead if I ever come across mysterious pin holes in pex tubing.
I have found, over the years, that the entomologists at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History have been very interested and helpful in identifying some of the mysterious bugs that I've found around my yard. A emailed photo usually provides quick responses and they let me know if it is a vector or a locally rare critter. This started when I found whip scorpions in my yard, not indigenous to Pittsburgh. It was explained that they may have come from the south in a neighbor's mulch.
Not really relevant to the thread, just an highlight to what can be learned from a plumbing forum.:D

This may be why our guest room sheet rock got soaked. We had a "weeping" section of PEX (AquaPEX). The local Uponor rep apparently sent it to corporate headquarters whereupon they mailed us a tough-luck letter. They stated they would not honor the warranty as the damage was consistent with that caused by the Western Conifer Seed Bug.

The insect is native to our area (Oregon), but our house is certainly not infested with them.

Yikes, our entire house is plumbed with this stuff.

I've never even seen PEX tubing, but always knew there was some reason why I didn't like it. Now I know.

Latest posts

Back