Pex tubing - Brass or Plastic Fittings - My brass has Dezincification

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inki

Reaction score
Hello,

I see many ppl recommend Brass fitting over plastic, I used some, 2 years later it completely dissolved and caused a leak I removed it and it complete diminished the brass like acid. Yet it was only on HOT water and it was a BALL Shut Off Vavle

googled and came accross that PEX and BRASS cause Dezincification if the brass fitting has more than 15% zinc.

But when you buy brass fitting they dont say how much zink used to manufacture it.

So I am thinking of changing to plastic ??????

Or whats another way to ovoid Dezincification process with brass and pex ??????

The compression of a crimp or expansion on a plastic fitting scares me. I know Uponor plastic expansion fittings have been around for some time, without major problems that I am aware of, but they still worry me.

If dezincification is an issue, look into the Viega PexPress system. You can get bronze fittings for that system. I am just about to switch over to it.

I'm a huge fan of the plastic fittings for expansion style. "Quick and easy" it's called here. The plastic is quite thick, not like the plastic crimp fittings. I have plumbed many, many houses with Upenors stuff and have never had an issue so far. I haven't used the plastic crimp fittings, but I have had service calls for leaks and they were the issue.

So far, I really like it.

The biggest issue I have with it is availability of fittings, everything has to be ordered in.

Right now, I have a custom home going on that needs a run of 1 1/4". Anything above 1 1/4", there is no hand tool available. No one has a ProPress jaw available for 1 1/4", and even Ridgid (who makes the jaws) can't tell me or any supplier when they will be available. Running into a dead end at every turn.

China has it all my friend, and if they dont send sample they will make it for pennies on the dollor

"I needed a pin made contacted USA qouted $200 each, sent sample to chine 0.60 cents each min order 300 peaces"

CHINA IS THE KEY

SEND A PEACE OF PIPE provide dimentions youll have a jaw faster then you can blink research xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
China has it all my friend, and if they dont send sample they will make it for pennies on the dollor

"I needed a pin made contacted USA qouted $200 each, sent sample to chine 0.60 cents each min order 300 peaces"

CHINA IS THE KEY

SEND A PEACE OF PIPE provide dimentions youll have a jaw faster then you can blink research xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stick with American made, we dont use forced slave labor

they sell it cheap because it is cheaply made, plastic crap, with plastic gears
thats why their crap is so cheap, plastic crap

Back